Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-10-2007 , 12:40 PM
Subscriber

Modelling for animation

Hi, am trying to modell a squrriel, that is going to be animated and i am not sure how to modell the leg of the squrriel. Ive tried to modell it and everything works out great when i rig it and skin it, except the legs.

This is how it is modelled today:

user added image

How do i model his leg to begin with? When i did it this way i couldnt get it to look good when i tried to move the legs to a sitting position, even though ive tried to paint weights but it is just to much deformation going on... And a sitting position is the main position.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

# 2 25-10-2007 , 11:16 PM
hi,
I think you should model the inside of the knees... Now it's difficult to bend.. I think the thickness you see in the picture is more the upper-leg plus thick fur... You can remain volume during rigging with influence-objects..
Maybe look for picture of squirrel skeleton..

goodluck

'surf now, apocalypse later'
# 3 03-11-2007 , 03:29 PM

okay!

When I model characters for animation I look at reference material. Here is a video that shows exactly how a squirrel moves around through an obstacle course.

Squirrel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWU0bfo-bSY

I you are going to animate him and have him move like a real squirrel. You have to model him standing on all fours. Here is a video demostrating how to animate a quadruped. It's a horse but the same movement of the back leg applies to the squirrel, it just extends the legs further than the horse. Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glknkt0fDsI

EA Games