Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 03-08-2008 , 08:43 PM
oh Ok. The reason I ask is that there are a TON of little ventillation holes that I'd need to model. Unless... I selected multiple faces at once :p

I think I was missing something pretty obvious. meh.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Bluethunder

# 47 03-08-2008 , 08:57 PM
Subscriber
Well the experience I have had with Maya and Booleans are as follows.
One day I was making a keyboard, and I spent a LOT of time booleaning out the holes for the keys. I had intended to render the scene in Mental Ray, and the newly booleand keyboard was unrenderable in Mental Ray.

On another project, I had a model that was supposed to deform, and it had some holes booleaned into it. As soon as I tried to deform the object it effed itself up hardcore.

Also if you boolean and then decide the edge is too hard or sharp, and you want to say bevel... good luck. You'll have to end up adding the geometry in yourself in most cases.

It often causes things to misbehave, and although I doubt you'll experience any of these problems so early in your Maya career BUT I'd hate for you to think that they are gods greatest gift, and then you get deep into a project and realize that hours upon hours of modeling needs to be redone because the boolean has cause grief.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 48 03-08-2008 , 09:09 PM
Boolians aint good when your learning modeling and you want to try to keep it nice and clean, when your starting off there more hassle than good.

Once you get going and know what they do they do have their place in the toolset, I use them for short cuts but I make sure that I know what they are going to do and how to sort out the topology after using them, to make it nice and clean.

Stick to learning to model manually, its boring but you get to know what the individual edges and smoothing does.

I wouldent use them for a deformable object, that would be asking for trouble, unless you cleaned it up.

Render ing with MR and boolians may be that you converted to sub-d's without it being 100% Quad mesh (as MR used to fall over when there was an ngon or a tri using sub-d's).

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 49 27-08-2008 , 09:46 AM
Ahh okay I'm reviving this thread from the dead!

I have a question. I redid the TV but it doesn't look much better... It's a very very messy mesh, and it doesn't look alot different from the last one.

My question is.. How would I go about modeling the air vents? I think it's going to be absurd to actually model them, because to do that I'd need thousands of faces to extrude inwards...

Can I just use a texture and bump mapping? Is it possible? Because my TV has TONS of vents, and they are very small holes. Untill I get an answer... I guess I'll just start working on the glossy black texture of the plastic.

Last thing.... The screen does not appear perfectly rectangular around the corners.... It's hard to explain, have a look at the render:

Attached Thumbnails
# 50 28-08-2008 , 05:41 AM
Super Moderator
I think the first version of the TV looked better in terms of form, even though it was a bit heavy. About the vents, its good modeling practice yeah, though it doesn't make sense if you're doing an entire room and you'll never get THAT close to the TV, your time could be better spent.

- Genny
# 51 28-08-2008 , 08:08 AM
Yeah.. I was going off of VERY poor reference pictures that I took of my TV :headbang:

I think that maaaybe I might just move on... and try it later. I can't seem to get any of it. I just have close to no modeling experience, so I think I'll try to do something simpler..

Perhaps some other piece of furniture... user added image

Part of the problem is that I've been learning most of this stuff by myself, and I don't know any techniques or anything... I'm also not very familiar with the tools in the menus, so I didn't really know how to delete that extra set of vertices I created with polycut. (turns out it's Polygons > Edit mesh > Delete Edge/Vertices, or something like that)

Well I will be back with some black shaders slapped onto this, and I'll start something easier!

I will come back to this again later.. probably from scratch again though user added image

# 52 28-08-2008 , 09:33 AM
Ah, I've finished some of my miserable looking black shaders! It took me a while though... I don't really know much about ANYTHING lol...

Here it is. I'll come back to it later, but WOW is lighting tricky! user added image

Anyways, comment on this one please, before I move onto the next!

Note: I accidentally rendered out to 1024x1024! user added image Sorry about that.. I usually render them smaller -.-

Attached Thumbnails
# 53 28-08-2008 , 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
At this point I wouldn't worry about lighting, I wouldn't even worry about seriously shading models, some basic stuff for visual organization ok fine but, I'd say, tackle the modeling full on or you'll end up spreading yourself thin trying to wrap your head around so much.

- Genny
# 54 29-08-2008 , 02:25 AM
Hmm ok thank you very much GecT.

I'm starting to model a wii remote... I used some blueprint -ish things from www.the-blueprints.com

I'd give you a screenshot, but most of the time I've spent was getting the image planes up and all.. (I used a cube, and UV mapped the blueprints onto it, then I just seperated the faces. Probably not too efficient time-wise, but it saves cluttering up my reference image folder with 5 different pictures for 1 model.

If you want to see the blueprint, Then here it is!

err.. my image planes seem slightly out of proportion... :headbang: The wii remote looks like it gained weight!

I guess that might have been a downside of my strategy for saving files. It might be in my UV mapping stuff... I'll try to figure it out.

Any suggestions for the wii remote would be good. How should I make the buttons? Should I make seperate geometry for them, since they're cylinders? Also, I accidentally deleted a few vertices and saved.. I still have the history there, but I dunno how to undo that specific operation.. Anyone explain please?

EDIT: oh yeah... I forgot... Is there any way to create an edge between two vertices? Like a "Create edge" tool or something?

# 55 29-08-2008 , 04:21 AM
Super Moderator
As far as the wii controller goes, I see cubes for the body and the direction pad and cylinders for buttons, since you're doing a mansion, I doubt you'll get so close to a wii controller.

I don't quite get the last question, I'm guessing extrude or even bridge.

- Genny
# 56 29-08-2008 , 04:47 AM
Subscriber
in otherwords just use texture maps and normal maps for the wiimote

as for your last few questions, if you still have the history i think you can delete that particular node

i dont have Maya in front of me, but if you know which node in the history made the change you don't want, i think you can delete it by right clicking and selecting something like 'delete node'....

i THINK.... actually i dont know if you CAN delete a particular part of the history and undo what it did, you can only modify what it did

if you delete vertices you can just use the split polygon tool to put them back

also if you have two vertices you want to draw an edge between you just use the split polygon tool

just click and drag somewhere on an edge with that vertex and it will snap to the existing one (assuming the threshold is high enough, which it is if you use the default tool settings)
then just do the same with an edge that has the last vertex you want to join to

also a useful tool is the tool that inserts an edge loop (insert edge loop?) as long as Maya can see quads you can insert an entire edge loop from one edge to the opposite edge. click and drag to place, or just double click on an edge and an edge loop appears in the middle of all the quads affected

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 57 29-08-2008 , 09:55 AM
oooh I just tried out some of those tools under Polygons > Edit mesh. Very useful! Thanks for telling me about them, Chirone.

@ GecT: In my question, I wanted to know how to create edges between two vertices.. For example I was modeling my wiimote happily along, untill I decided to delete something like a quadrant shape of vertices.. (Imagine cartesian coordinates, I just up and took out the 4th quadrant (lower right)). I think the split poly tool worked.. that or it created another vertex, and theres 2 in the same area or close proximity.

Thank you everyone for all your help!

Oh, and chirone, you said normal maps and texture maps....? Would I need a bump map too, since the buttons protrude a bit from the controller? (some of them). If so, how do I go about making one specifically for the wii remote? if not, ignore that user added image

I'm assuming that I'd basically just put the image that I'm using for my image planes onto the object? (ie, UV texturing? Just a second ago it sounded really simple... "UV" seems to strike fear into my heart now user added image )

Anyways, thank you everyone. screenshot or render coming soon!

# 58 29-08-2008 , 10:06 AM
Subscriber
hey this is looking good.., and you have some of the best here helping you.

user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 59 29-08-2008 , 10:27 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Bluethunder
Oh, and chirone, you said normal maps and texture maps....? Would I need a bump map too, since the buttons protrude a bit from the controller? (some of them). If so, how do I go about making one specifically for the wii remote? if not, ignore that user added image

I'm assuming that I'd basically just put the image that I'm using for my image planes onto the object? (ie, UV texturing? Just a second ago it sounded really simple... "UV" seems to strike fear into my heart now user added image )

bump map is the original way to show bumps and other such details on surfaces without adding extra geometry

you can use either bump or nomral, i'm not sure if normal is more realistic than bump though.

the difference between them is taht bump uses only greyscale pictures to determine what parts are raised/depressed
normal maps use the rgb channels to do it (i think, im pretty sure its only using 3 channels)
i think you can only have one of the other? i've never tried applying more than one texture or bump/normal map

for hints on how to create yourself a normal map check out mike's free game texturing tutorial here.
actually now that i think of it, if you use normal mapping you'll still want to make the geometry so you can get the map. In that case just use some cylinders and cubes as GecT suggested and then just sow them on.

as for texturing using the images you have in your image planes you just hook em up to your materials and then in the UV editor you just play around with the UVs

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 60 29-08-2008 , 11:11 AM
Subscriber

you just play around with the UVs

oh if it was just that simple for me user added image

id suggest looking at all the free tuts here and then some.., other free tuts that is.., unless you have money.., hard to come by for some.

take it easy and life will be easy