Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-04-2009 , 10:40 AM

MAYA places LAST in the list for upgrade satisfaction among other 3d applications!..

Last edited by iamcreasy; 20-04-2009 at 11:22 AM.
# 2 20-04-2009 , 11:15 AM
Maybe change the thread title to "last in the list for upgrade satisfaction" as thats what the list shows.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 20-04-2009 , 11:28 AM
Subscriber
in a way i'm not surprised that Maya came last? although, i don't actually know what's been upgraded in any of those appcliations

maybe people think max and maya are so perfect that any more upgrades wont satisfy them as much as a less featureless set of functions from the other apps? :p

this part is funny:

Moreover, because of our fast development, it's not always clear to new users whether they are trying to use something that's brilliant or is still half working, or simply broken by design!

i kind of feel like that with quite a few apps :p

how many people here turn the other way when someone mentions blender because it's free and open source?

i saw cinema4D in action the other day, and although it was a short time seeing it, it looked quite easy to use. you get all three transformations tools at once, so no having to hit keys on the keyboard to get to the right tool (or in my case hitting all three keys until i get the right one because i still haven't learnt which key is what)

i would probably use XSI more than i do now if i had the proper version and not the free one (the lack of being able to edit the settings makes working quite slow)

i would like to see someone implement Kopf's 3D texture synthesis, the sketch based modeling, and the cascading optimization of mesh deformation with inverse kinematics

that last one, especially would be really cool, the demo of it looked so effortless to rig your mesh with IK... someone might have done a plug-in for something somewhere for it though

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 20-04-2009 , 11:30 AM
The Nurb Herd
everyone moans about upgrades and bug fixes. its not surprising that maya is last.

the last 3 are all autodesk!

# 5 20-04-2009 , 11:47 AM
Everyone does moan about the upgrades, the anual upgrades are a bit of a pain as a lot of the time the new features can be a bit "anticlimatic" and not really worth it.

Then again, your not forced to upgrade.

Not seen C4d for ages but that Chrone sounds like the universal manipulator??

# 6 20-04-2009 , 11:50 AM
Actually the thing that i tried to focus is..........BLENDER the free stuff (which no doubt can produce stunning result, and many companies are using it for their product visualization) goes over MAYA(which is 5000$ stuff)...AMAZING!

I have used blender a lot.Though i dont feel very flexible their while i can model in maya.After years of furnishing and development maya is outstand for it's amalgamate feature set...specially in case of modeling.

I am not surprised to see houdini taking 2nd place in the list!Actually houdini does get proper reputation that it deserves!!After watching the demo reel and getting a glimpse of it's PROCEDURAL work flow and after watching the free tutorials(though they are very old now) any 3d artist would be bound to say "i wish i started my 3d life with it".But one thing i dislike in houdini that it's modeling tools are not sufficient..or actually rich enough(everyone should say this abt every app after using maya!)

Watch some videos in youtube abt the fluid simulation of blender and try producing visual effect in houdini apprentics(and see how flexible,easy and fast it is)....I m pretty sure that it will blow u away!!

One more thing the MANTRA(the rendering engine of houdini) is super fast in comparing with maya's software renderer)

# 7 20-04-2009 , 01:42 PM

Originally posted by iamcreasy
Actually the thing that i tried to focus is..........BLENDER the free stuff (which no doubt can produce stunning result, and many companies are using it for their product visualization) goes over MAYA(which is 5000$ stuff)...AMAZING!

With regards to customer satisfaction to updates.... Not a comparision of the softwares themselves.

Personally I think that autodesk are duff when it comes to updates, they are yearly, which is a pain as plug-ins only just about catch up in that time, have a lot of stuff thats small and can be provided in a service pack etc, and you have to pay, though tere have been some nice additions. But it wouldent detract me form the software itself.

# 8 20-04-2009 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by iamcreasy
After watching the demo reel and getting a glimpse of it's PROCEDURAL work flow and after watching the free tutorials(though they are very old now) any 3d artist would be bound to say "i wish i started my 3d life with it".

i wouldn't go that far if what you say is what i think
and what i think is that you said the workflow is procedural, a set process to making things
while that would make it easy to pick up, procedural processes dont tend to leave room for creativity
although, not having seen houdini myself (only that demo reel, impressive results but it didn't show anything about how things are made) i'm not sticking to that comment like glue and will drop it if you can prove me wrong :p

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 9 21-04-2009 , 12:32 PM
i wish i could have some skill to demonstrate how cool and how easy this procedural work flow is...sigh!!!...i have seen some fraction of it...and it was absolutely not hard to conclude that it can boost ur work flow as well as creativity!

Last edited by iamcreasy; 21-04-2009 at 12:43 PM.
# 10 21-04-2009 , 04:16 PM
What can be done proceduraly with houdini is pretty amazing. One of the artists at work made a procedural rollercoaster track one day. He started with two curves - one which would dictate the plan as viewed from above, and one which dictated the peaks and troughs (height of the track). After about half an hour he had a system, containing a polygon track, which he could re-shape at will using the two initial curves. The whole mesh would reform and adjust to the curves in real time, adding in more struts, girders, beams etc.

This was him just messing around, some of the stuff on the web (like on the procedural cities dvd) is stunning.

# 11 21-04-2009 , 04:20 PM
:attn:
thanks gubar

I don't know why....i love HOUDINI very much!!.....though i dont like to model in it!

Have u seen the new demo reels of Pyro FX.....they r STUNNING!!!!user added image

Last edited by iamcreasy; 21-04-2009 at 04:36 PM.
# 12 21-04-2009 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
well people can bitch and moan all they like - I love Maya and I`m sticking with it. Apart from the odd tweak here and there and the whole N-Everything - its not changed much since 7 and I like it that way - who wants to learn a new app from scratch.

# 13 22-04-2009 , 08:55 AM

Originally posted by tweetytunes
well people can bitch and moan all they like - I love Maya and I`m sticking with it. Apart from the odd tweak here and there and the whole N-Everything - its not changed much since 7 and I like it that way - who wants to learn a new app from scratch.

It's not a matter of not liking maya - everyone on this board loves maya I'm sure. But it is about taking what you need from each package to create a project, working through several in a pipeline if necessary.

# 14 22-04-2009 , 08:56 AM
Very true Gubar.

The results of that poll dont show user satisfaction though, it shows upgrade satisfaction, two completly and utterly different things.

# 15 22-04-2009 , 09:45 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gubar
It's not a matter of not liking maya - everyone on this board loves maya I'm sure. But it is about taking what you need from each package to create a project, working through several in a pipeline if necessary.

no what I`m saying is that the update that maya has done over the years really has not effected me in anyway. Maya is great that apart from photoshop you really don`t need any other piece of software to get great results. I was reading the other day that a 3 man team in japan have just finished a 2 hours fully cg film using Maya 6.5 and people are saying it looks just as good as Advent children even though maya 6.5 came out how long ago.

My comment about bitching and moaning is about Maya being last in that list - were every Max user I know has much more complaints and I dont know anyone using the other software.