Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 29-05-2009 , 06:41 PM

2009 Demo Reel

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 2 29-05-2009 , 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
Good stuff, I'm partial to the orc-ish guy with the shield, the CGS upload does it more justice than the Youtube version even on high quality. Liked the background track though the borders on the vid seem to take away from it a bit.

- Genny
# 3 30-05-2009 , 12:36 AM
Subscriber
Nice stuff Kurt. I like the Snail character, the composition and colouring of the shot as a whole is really nice. Works really well.

Im surprised at the displacement map bit. I havnt covered displacement mapping, I was surprised you could create such interesting terrain from those basic cube shapes. Thats alot of displacement.

And the pose/composition of the girl with the whip stood out, the way the whip wrapped around her as the turntable turned was cool.

I feel wierd making any crit as I would not be able to create a quarter of the quality of that work, but if one thing stood out as off, it was the dents on the orc/ogre's shield. You know some times when you paint a color map in photoshop or wherever, when you get a duff line, it really jumps out. Like...this is hard to explain...when you see in either the color or bump map, a problem brushstroke, you can imagine what it looks like in Photoshop, as it jumps out as being 2d, rather than 'true' 3d. No that doesn't make sense does it...huff. Just I thought the dents on the shield looked a little 'obvious'...if that's the right word.

Feel terrible for critting after all the help your tutorials gave me getting started with Maya!

# 4 30-05-2009 , 12:52 AM
Thanks guys for the comments

GecT I had it all black at one point but found it was even to plane for me. I always try to have my reels simple and to the point will with out a lot of cuts or fancy edits i'll see what i can come up with or change.

Ben, Crits are never bad and im still learning a lot as well.. the sheild lines are actully 3d made in Z brush and applied as a bump map in maya... I can look over the sheild area for when i add new models for sure.

Have lots of new projects on the go..

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 15-06-2009 , 09:55 PM
Subscriber

really nice work!

Hi

Wanted to say hey and really nice work!

Also wanted to drop a big thank you for your video training. I’m new to Maya within the last couple of months or so. Of all tutorials I’ve come across yours have been really easy to follow along to. I just finished the bigbot SM ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdO-pJmb-PQ )and I’m onto the haunted house. Really fun stuff

Anyways thanks again

Kyoteart