Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 10-01-2005 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber

Strange shading - help needed

Something strange has happened to my model and I cant get rid of it.

When I view the model using flat shading It looks like the image below

user added image

When I view it smooth shaded, some strange shadows have apeared.

user added image

These also are evident when I render the image

user added image

below is the actual file inMaya 6 ma and mb format.. Could someone please have a look at it and see if they can figure it out.
I have tried everything including remapping all the uvs, checking all the verts are welded correctly, checking all the normals etc..

https://stonks.com/forum/help.zip

HELP

# 2 10-01-2005 , 06:52 PM
Subscriber
One thing I have noticed though, is that if I delete one of the dark faces, then replace it by usin "append to polygon". The new face doesnt have the wierd shading effect ?

The last thing I want to do is to replace all the faces.. I would have to redo all the uv layout again on the arms... Ugh,

# 3 10-01-2005 , 09:32 PM
Subscriber
ok i think the problem is to do with polygon normals (now I am no expert so don't blame me if it doesn't work) go to display - custom polygon display - option box and set face normal to ON then click apply select faces that have normals facing inwards then goto edit polygons - Normals - Reverse problem should be sorted

# 4 10-01-2005 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber
btw, just thought i'd mention that when i downloaded and opened the file you posted i didn't have the problem. The model seemed fine.

# 5 10-01-2005 , 09:44 PM
Subscriber
ok opened the file found out its not faces but the vertex normals just go on to edit polygons -> Normals -> Set Vertex Normal sorted it out on mine

# 6 10-01-2005 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the help guys

I had concentrated on the Normal faces rather than the vertices..

To fix it I had to set the vertices as normal then set them all to face.. Fixed it fine

Again.. many thanks