Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 05-09-2005 , 07:44 AM
Subscriber

Sept/Oct NOOB!!! badtertle

I have been looking at this site for two weeks now and the challenge forum looked really fun. I can tell you all that theres no chance i can win even the newbie prize(the proof?...check out my
WIP of a head
I want to give it a try anyhow because it will definately help me learn...Whts my subject you ask?

I chose the character that haunted me as a child. I always tryed my hardest, but everytime i failed HE was there to laugh in my face...you guessed it, the dog from duckhunt.
Don't remember? Heres a few pics.

Attached Images

What I lack in skill I make up for with enthusiasm.
# 2 05-09-2005 , 07:45 AM
Subscriber
i must complete the message field

Attached Images

# 3 05-09-2005 , 07:46 AM
Subscriber
blahdy blah...is there any way to just attach multiple pics in one reply?

Attached Images

# 4 05-09-2005 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber

changed my mind

ive changed my mind on my subject...i already did a model of a cartoon dog and i want to do something different. I'm thinking Vectorman. They were going to make a ps2 version apparently, but it was cancelled and the model/gameplay they had looked nothing like the origional. Would it be okay to do vectorman?

Attached Images

# 5 05-09-2005 , 09:40 PM
I'm already doing Vectorman, but you can too if you want to. I'm a lightwave user, not maya.

# 6 05-09-2005 , 11:32 PM
Subscriber

doh

well, i guess im going back to the doggie...mine would look really bad compared to another.

# 7 06-09-2005 , 06:50 AM
Subscriber
doesn't matter that another person is doing the same character

the idea is to take the old game icon and put your own spin on it.
Not to copy the look of the old icon directly. these are Mikes words

it is nice to see another person view anyway.
Dae

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 8 07-09-2005 , 12:34 AM
Subscriber

Vectorman it is

Well, it will be interesting to have two people put different spins on the same char...im in. Vectorman it is. First off, vectorman is a bunch of yellow dots at each joint spot floating around. Two ideas i have floating in my head: an update of the origional with a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle style head and the rest pretty dot like but with an armor upgrade. The other, which i think im leaning toward because it will be more interesting is making him hundreds of yellow dots spinning around to form each of the body parts. Maybe with a semi-seethrough energy shell. I guess it could be motion paths...i havent done any animation yet, so i would learn tons. The only problem with that idea is im not sure how well it would translate to a still shot...Opinions?

# 9 07-09-2005 , 01:53 PM
The Maya Mountain
definitely try to make it more involved than just spheres or something. Maybe make the spheres with mechanical details that "explain" how they function...

it's all in the details!

# 10 07-09-2005 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber

revised idea

i watched the tutorials on path animation and constraints and experimented a little last night with different options. I couldnt get the geometry/normal constraints to work properly the way it showed in the video, but i think it will work out anyway.
Im thinking of using the mini yellow dots(i will sppruce them up a bit) as vertices and the edges will be lightning-esque with a semi opaque face. That way it would look okay as a still shot.
Im trying to decide if i want that idea for the whole body or if i should leave the head and hands as one object.
Im also going to start exploring particle effects. Once im more familiar with mayas capabilities and how these kinds of tools work, my concept will probably change a bit.
Is there any good particle system Overview tutorials out there?

# 11 08-09-2005 , 06:20 AM
Subscriber

yet another idea

My latest change to vectorman is an electricity ball chest(heart), and brain. Ive been playing around with constraints a bit and so far i think i have the worst way to go about it. Right now ive got cylinders aim constrained to targets which are zipping around motion paths. If anyone has a better idea, which i hope to god there is a better way, please let me know

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 08-09-2005 , 06:21 AM
Subscriber

ugliest thing youve ever seen

this is ugly...thes got to be a better way. BTW, the model is just a stand in, im gonna build it from scratch once my idea is solidified

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 10-09-2005 , 03:47 AM
Subscriber

started modeling

if youve seen my head wip, youd know that this is most likely gonna look way different by the time 2 months comes around haha. Anyways, i think ive figured out what im gonna do with the see through body. Im going to constrain 6 or so locators to the body and use low magnatude lightning. I didnt know lightning existed until yesterday. I dont even know if that will go in my final model because i have an idea of the scene i want the modern vectorman to be in and his belly probably wont be visible. The game takes place in the year 2049, so until then, vectorman needs to pay the bills. Im thinking him in a suit and tie with no pants (he has no waist) sitting in a cubicle in a scene reminiscent of the incredibles.
Anyways, i want him to look a bit more human-shaped with wires and gizmos and lights on him. Heres the start of the basic shape of the head and torso.

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 10-09-2005 , 02:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
I think I would make a joint skeleton like normal, parent the spheres to the joints and animate the spheres moving around as it's moving.

But don't forget, your entry isn't animated, so you can just pose him how you want.

# 15 13-09-2005 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber

well...i gotta start all over

i just recieved 7.0 unlimited in the mail.WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately, this means that i have to start over on this challenge unless anyone knows how to open a ple file with the normal version.
Will show progress when i get started again