Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 12-02-2007 , 09:50 AM

Character - Cartoon Devil/Demon

Hello everyone, It's been a while since i last posted anything here, been focusing on trying to get an industry job (still working on that btw) and juggling with my mundane call centre job.

After spending a fair bit of time animating things for my new showreel, i thought i'd take a break from animating for a bit and do some modelling (which in turn will probably lead to more animation). Plus my new modus operandi is to actually finish projects after starting them.

Ok onto the character, several years ago I did a sketch for a cartoon devil/demon character, which i later polished up in photoshop and used in one of my uni projects.

user added image
A friend of mine suggested I make it in 3D. Something that I had toyed with in the past but thought that i might be able to pull off now. So here's what i've done so far...

Reference image user added image
Polygon Front View - Mouth Open user added image
Polygon Perspective View - Mouth open user added image
SubD Side View - Mouth Closed user added image

So the base mesh is mostly finished...now comes the next decision, do I try to add more details in another app like zbrush (which i have no idea how to use), or do I unwrap, texture and rig the guy for some animations, I must admit, I am itching to do some facial blendshapes user added image

All crits welcomed...

# 2 12-02-2007 , 09:55 AM
Hey man, good to see you back!

Shame that your demo at the framestore didnt come to anything.

I thikn for this guy theres no real point in taking him into Z brush as he dosent really need that much deatail to him, a nice texure whould do the job, maybe some scales or "leathery" look to him might work?

Have you got anything planned for the animation?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 12-02-2007 , 10:07 AM
thanks gster, it's good to be back

You have a good point, he probably doesn't need to much more detail really, nothing that i couldn't add with textures anyway, and i need texturing practice. Hadn't thought of leather or scales but they're not a bad idea, something i can think about and have a play with. there was also the idea of giving him some clothes. At the moment i'd like to do some simple animation tests with him when he's rigged, get the character in place with some walks and runs and facial stuff. I have an idea for a short film but it needs a lot of padding out and prep work before I give any of the details away user added image

# 4 12-02-2007 , 10:52 AM
cool, just one thing. the tail looks a little err... phallic. I'd make it thicker and the barb a little more defined. at least more definition on the barb.

# 5 12-02-2007 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber
Good to se you back,
I recon u should keep it cartoony. It'd looks realy good like that.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 6 14-02-2007 , 01:18 PM
yeah - definitely keep it cartoony and simple - it's looking very nice so far. I might also move the tail down a bit - at the moment it's looking a little high. I really like your orthographic concept sketch by the way - very nice and clean.

Good to see you back mate.user added image

# 7 15-02-2007 , 12:29 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys,

I think i'm going to keep it cartoony, seems to fit. In response to the tail being a little phallic...well the angle doesn't help, i can assure you it is more barbed than it looks, though it could probably do with some extra definition.

Arran, I may move it down a bit, it does look a little high. My normal process for setting up reference sketches that are useful is to sketch it out on paper, scan it in, correct the scale and then redraw the whole thing traced on another layer in photoshop using my tablet, takes half the time of trying to clean up the pencil sketches user added image

# 8 26-02-2007 , 10:39 AM
Ok haven't been back for a couple of days, decided to reformat my main drive to sort out some technical problems with my system. Anyway now that's sorted I've been attempting to layout some UV's for texturing. I usually hate this part as i'm not that good at it, but hey i need the practice, here's an image of the final UV map

user added image

Oh yeah and i've moved the character's tail down a bit and added a bit more definition so it no longer can be mistaken for another appendage user added image

Oh and I do have big plans for this dude now, been working a bit more on a story and have a concept that has the potential to lead to a number of shorts if i can tighten it up a bit.