Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-03-2011 , 10:46 PM

WIP - Lich King Gamecharacter

Working on a gamecharacter for an old PC game. Base model was made in Blender poly by poly and is already rigged. Getting UVs done now and taking the model into ZBrush for detailing piece by piece. Besides making this a game character, I also plan on doing a nice large size render in Maya. Gotta learn Mental ray this way...hopefully!!! user added image

TDW user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 21-03-2011 , 10:55 PM
The thin red line
Nice model, just asking have you not over done the detail going into zbrush.......dave

# 3 21-03-2011 , 11:15 PM
Thx, I don't think it's overdone, in fact I just started with detailing, haven't done that much at all. Almost all game designers create their textures in ZBrush and Mudbox these days, it's a pretty common thing. I won't go much higher in detail for the game textures though, cause it often turn out rather pixelated ingame. The version I will use for render issues will have much more detailing, so I can make a nice displacement map of it for use in Maya.

TDW user added image

# 4 24-03-2011 , 12:40 PM
Lifetime Member
Mate! I dig the concept man...that is sweet, the only thing I would say is it needs a tad more volume, muscle wise...the legs are fine but the chest needs just a little more robust form to it..I know its skeletal but I think it looks small for the figure...but it is bloody sweet man!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 24-03-2011 , 04:28 PM
I see what you mean, but the more clutter I add to the skeleton, the less you see of the bones. I had some hard time to get that rip cage done and I don't wat to cover it up too much now. I was also thinking of maybe placing a pulsing heart inside the ripcage, which will be animated by morphs.

I'm not 100% convinced of how this skeleton turned out yet, maybe later I might want to change this and that, but for now I mainly want to get this char game ready. user added image

TDW user added image

# 6 24-03-2011 , 05:23 PM
The Nurb Herd
hey cool, looks really great. i look forward to seeing a render.

# 7 24-03-2011 , 09:20 PM
Lifetime Member
I think I said it wrong TDW...LOL...I think its fine but I meant the top half of the ribs maybe scaled a bit up?? it seems skinny compared to the rest in perspective...a beating heart? nice...this reminds me of the Lichen from Feists novels....

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 25-03-2011 , 01:57 AM
Ah, got you, well I could do that, if it was a standalone artwork only, but I have to make it fit an ancient PC game rig, which doesn't comfort the character very well already. It would most likely result in clipping through the arm in game, maybe I can tweak it lateron, once I've tested it with the animations.

Polypainting the skull in ZBrush in order to find a design that suits the character. I'd go with something like this at the moment:

TDW user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 25-03-2011 , 07:35 AM
Subscriber
this is so why I`m currently learning Z-Brush - Loving it well done. But this deserves much more than being a old game model - Im glad your planning some other renders with this.

# 10 25-03-2011 , 08:34 AM
The thin red line
That looks nice............dave

# 11 29-03-2011 , 09:18 PM
Another update, showing the textures from ZBrush on the lowpoly model. It's just diffuse and glow map for the blueish stuff. Though it might be a nice idea to have some plasma/ lava showing through some cracks in the surface of the exoskeleton.

The textures still have some issues, gonna fix that now in Photoshop.

TDWuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 29-03-2011 , 09:25 PM
The thin red line
Hi TDW
Looking good but I think the teeth need a little work to white.........dave

# 13 29-03-2011 , 09:45 PM
Yeah, just threw on some noisy texture as a placeholder. Gotta make some better UVs and then add some unique details. I still got to texture the rest of the body, so teeth is kinda low priority at the moment. user added image

TDWuser added image

# 14 29-03-2011 , 10:03 PM
The thin red line
If you are having trouble with UVs try UVmaster in zbrush then tweek in you app.....dave

# 15 29-03-2011 , 10:22 PM
UV master sucks. Spend some hours with it, but couldn't produce any decent UVs. Maybe it's ok for very simple shapes, but on models with lot of clutter it fails utterly. I always do my UVs manually. I just chose quick unwrap for the teeth, so I got about 100 single UV isles now. Would make no sense to texture that. I'll make some clean UVs for one half of the teeth and then mirror the other half.

TDWuser added image