Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-09-2007 , 02:46 PM

Sound conflict in Maya 8.5

Hi,

( sorry for my grammar, my english is not perfect )

hope someone could help me. I know other people that have the same problem, and they don't have the same specs.

I've got a very simple animation scene. I imported a .wav sound ( PCM) in my timeline. When I've played it the first time, all went well, the animation was smooth and the sound worked.

But for the second play, or at the third ( it seems random)..., or if I point a specific frame in the timeline, it seems that i have a sound conflict with a graphic component or something when i tried to play the sequence. The sound worked great again, but the animation jerked.

If i turn the sound off, all goes well as expected.

Is this can be only a driver problem? Or the Maya version?
Help me please, it's very annoying and it's very hard to work like this, i've got a lot of lipsynch to do.

L.

Specs: OS Windows XP
Soundblaster Soundcard
NVidia Quadro FX 1500 video card

Or does anyone know if the
Autodesk Maya 8.5 Service Pack 1
Published date: 2007-06-11
ID: DL9627807

could solve the problem?

Lebel

Last edited by Lebel; 13-09-2007 at 03:34 PM.
# 2 14-09-2007 , 05:59 AM
If you skip to a specific time in a large audio file, the computer has to look for that point by reading from the start of the file till it gets to it. Since you mention its a wave file and those can be many megabytes in size, it slows the computer for a while resulting in jerky graphics.

You could try compressing that wave file with a better codec or by using a lower qaulity version of it so its smaller in size, since you will add the sound in post production anyways.

Hope this helps.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 3 15-09-2007 , 12:59 PM

Not that!

Thanks you so much Architect, but I don't think it's the problem.

My sound isnt' a high quality one...
( less than one MEG!!)

Lebel
# 4 16-09-2007 , 03:45 AM
Other than a large file, I don't know what else could cause this. I've read a long time ago that there was a 'bug' like this in Maya 6.5 and Win XP, but since I use 6.5 and XP and so far have had no problems with the sound or anything, except for when I had a very large file.

# 5 16-09-2007 , 09:25 AM

I've found it!

Oh man... it was a BIOS option...

The hyperthreading option has to be off.

Lebel
# 6 16-09-2007 , 09:30 AM
Hyperthreading???

Thats a bit strange for it to be causing this, since it was supposed to increase performance... user added image

# 7 16-09-2007 , 09:36 AM

Yep yep

I know...

that's strange.
I have to sacrifice a better performance to resolve my problem.

I'll contact Autodesk soon and maybe they'll fix it with a new patch.

Lebel