SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Maya Questions / Maya Modeling / Help, Edge Slide and snap to other meshes

Maya Modeling Everything on Modeling Techniques and Tools - NURBS, Polygons and Subdivisions Related in this Section.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

16-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
Bryan3D

Help, Edge Slide and snap to other meshes
Hi All

I am coming to Maya from Max for a new job and I have a question. I am trying to move an edge along an angle and aligning that edge to another mesh in the scene. In max I would use edge constraint the snap the edge to the other mesh. The edge would snap to the required height while sliding along the mesh constrained to the edge. In maya whenever I attempt to snap the edge constraint is disabled and thus the edge doesn't slide it just deforms the mesh to align the edge to the mesh I am snapping to.

In short I am using the constraint in Maya "Transform Constraints - Edge" which works fine but disables when holding the V button for point snapping. I have tried the edge slide tool but the snapping option doesn't apply to other meshes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pic attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	585.3 KB
ID:	56691  
16-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #2
Bryan3D

Forgot to add that this is Maya 2014
17-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
jsprogg
Lifetime Member

One way to do this is to select the edge with the slide edge loop tool then hold down the v key and middle mouse drag across one of the top vertices of the cylinder and the edge will slide to the vertex height.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
18-05-2015, 01:31 AM   #4
Bryan3D

Quote:
One way to do this is to select the edge with the slide edge loop tool then hold down the v key and middle mouse drag across one of the top vertices of the cylinder and the edge will slide to the vertex height.
Thanks for your response. Unfortuantley I've tried that method and it does not work. The edge will snap at increments but it will not snap to the other meshes height or whatever you are aiming for. Any other ideas?