Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 12-12-2014 , 07:07 PM

Problem with Insert Edge Loop Tool

Hi all!

First of all, I am very sorry that I open my SimplyMaya experience by opening a newbie problem thread, but this problem is really annoying and I don't find any information about it on the net.

I am now practicing modelling with a long 18 part tutorial. The tutorial author recommended at one point that after every video I should save a new file and then select Delete all by type -> History and Delete all by type -> Non-deformer history and save again.

This at the beginning, but now after few times I am getting a weird problem with the Insert Edge Loop Tool. After the former saving routine when I start working again and use the Insert Edge Loop Tool, the edge loops pivot point goes to the center of the object that I am trying to work with.

Please see the image below. All that has been done there is that I have used the Insert Edge Loop Tool and pressed W for translate. As you can see, the pivot point is in the center of the object. This causes problems when I try to, for instance, snap the loop in line with a vertex.

user added image

I hope someone knows what is this about and is able to help me. user added image

~

Another problem related to Insert Edge Loop Tool. Please see the below image. Are those black lines only there because of a graphical bug or did I mess up some settings. Thanks for this too!

user added image

# 2 12-12-2014 , 09:34 PM
The thin red line
I would start by resetting both tools insert edge and move tool if that does not work delete your preference file ( maya will make another one when you restart it ) let us know how you get on, the black lines could be your graphics card..............dave

# 3 13-12-2014 , 10:18 AM

I would start by resetting both tools insert edge and move tool if that does not work delete your preference file ( maya will make another one when you restart it ) let us know how you get on, the black lines could be your graphics card..............dave

Thanks dave. Reseting those tools didn't work, but deleting the prefs folder did. I still don't know how did I mess up my settings before. I guess I have to be more careful with my keyboard. user added image