Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 30-09-2007 , 03:01 PM
Subscriber

Fantasy Female WIP

well it's kind of the fantasy female. I have different reference images to make it more my own with just a guide on how to create it.

I usually don't try to make people because I have a hard time with the faces, but theres really only one way to learn..

Here is a wireframe and at this moment I'm completely dissatisfied with the whole head, the eyes, the nose, the mouth, the cheeks everything. No matter how much I tweak the cheeks theres something else that gets f'd up after they're adjusted. None of it looks close to the reference and it looks more like a males head than a females head. I've only completed up to the 2nd video out of the fantasy female and I know it's going to look pretty rough at this stage but I still feel like I'm missing something on this.

user added image
anything would be greatly appreciated, help comments critics, something to guide me.

# 2 30-09-2007 , 11:17 PM
Looks like a good start man. Just keep adding bits here and there to define the shape a bit better. Its a lot of fiddeling about moving verts etc but you'll get there.

I also like to use the sculpt poly tools to define areas just by gently puching an pulling with the auto smooth on.

Are you using maya 2008? If so I would recommend using the smooth poly preview at this stage to define areas on the lor res with the preview on to see hos its going to look smoothed.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 30-09-2007 , 11:44 PM
Subscriber
try defining the jaw line. You will be supprised what a difference it will make.

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.
# 4 01-10-2007 , 12:13 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
A good start, My advice would be to not worry about adding anymore geometry at this stage. Dont even think about adding the ears either. Instead block the head out in its almost final shape, jump back and forth between a smooth version and the base. This way you can see where its heading. Try and keep the polys uniform too, obviously there'll be occasions when its not possible at all but keep it in mind, the model will become a bit easier and more manageable

Cheers
Jay

# 5 01-10-2007 , 10:29 AM
Subscriber
thank you guys so much for your comments. I guess I'm just not used to the work that you have to put into a face, I've never gotten this far with one. About not adding more geometry, I'm just following Kurt's tutorial so I've kind of been adding when he's adding, and I think I added one or two with the split poly tool a few times.
I've also been using the poly smooth a little bit here and there but that seems to only screw things up a little more.
I'll see what I can do from here, thanks again and hopefully later tonight I can have another picture or two of the progress on the head so far.
Oh and I'm not using 2008, had to downgrade from 8.5 to 6.5 so I'm back to where I started. Don't have the money yet for 2008, or a computer that can really handle it, haha. Slowly but surely I'll be ready for an upgrade probably when maya 2010 is released, lol.

Thanks again guys user added image

# 6 01-10-2007 , 03:11 PM
Subscriber
couple little things today, still didn't really get to the jawline yet, I'm thinking we'll get to it in the tutorial, I hope.

Today I attached the neck, tweaked the mouth and cheeks a little bit. Removed some of the extra geometry by merging. And a few other really small things.

user added image
user added image

Still slightly dissatisfied at the moment because it's not looking totally feminine but then again it's bald and still in early stages.

# 7 05-10-2007 , 08:19 PM
Subscriber
a little more work around the eye and the mouth and I think I'm ready to finally start on the ear then head to the body

user added image
user added image

# 8 05-10-2007 , 11:40 PM
Subscriber
my suggestion would be more deformation around the upper lip, and towards animation add a extra edge loop around the eyes, well i always prefer 2 more then you have for, a nice eye lid closure.

i would love to have a side view user added image

Great work in general man!!!

# 9 06-10-2007 , 10:35 AM
Hey There Mike

Getting there man!

Does the head geo go into a point at the crown? If so I would probably try to break it down into quads. I would also try to flow some geo round the top of the head into the neck area, heres a pic of My WIP, as its hard to describe!

Cheers

Steve

Attached Images

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle