Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-09-2010 , 02:43 PM
Subscriber

Room/Furniture exercise

Hey fellas! I've been hanging out on this forums secretly for many years now. From around the time I was 14-15 ish and to this day (currently im 20) I've been admiring the work of all the accomplished and aspiring artists that post on this forum. I knew even back then that I had to become an 3D Artist. Started off with Maya_PLE and some of the free tutorials here on the site. Never managed to finish a single one cause I found them all too hard. I put the idea of becoming a 3D artist on the shelf, thinking it was too hard to get a job, especially here in Norway, and that it was no means of providing for a wife and kids. So for a 3 years or so I started looking into other stuff, still knowing that this was where my true passion was. One year ago for no specific reason I just realized that no matter what, this is the only way I could imagine ever loving what was also making me a living. So long story still not that short: I applied for Noroff on the 3D Design and Animations bachelor, got accepted and I've been doing that for about 3 weeks now. We use 3Ds MAX; but the simply max forum is dead. Besides, I've been following this forum for years and I am familiar with a bunch of names and a bunch of the work related to that name, and feel quite comfortable here already, so why not user added image

SKIP TO HERE IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ A LIFE STORY user added image

So currently we're working with pretty basic stuff, our current task is to create a room with furniture and play around with textures and light. So far we've only gotten into "Bitmap" texturing, or google texturing as we call it. So most of the textures are simply colors , only the main objects such as couches/floor etc has some basic textures slapped on em. This is what I've come up with so far, there are a lot of things lacking in the scene, it feels a little empty. But any crits on anything you might notice, preferably about the things that already are in the scene, is very welcome user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-09-2010 , 03:25 PM
The thin red line
Hi Classical
The main problem for me is its to dark to see, only thing I can see as it is are the shadows under the chair look like they are going differant directions..........dave

# 3 13-09-2010 , 03:50 PM
The Nurb Herd
yeah, i'm on a matte screen apple monitor that has been calibrated with cineProfiler... too dark.

# 4 13-09-2010 , 03:59 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
started out as you and i managed to get a carreer out of this at first i started out on archviz and now i do effects for music vidz and local series 3d can be applied anywhere mate ts all about imagination

now about your scene you need to simulate either bounce light by creating another couple of lights or switch on fg( lots of processor power needed) and alittle bit of fill light

google jeremy birn

# 5 13-09-2010 , 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, it's pretty dark. Also I'm not sure if that is what I'm seeing, but the horizon seems to be mighty high.

- Genny
# 6 13-09-2010 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
Hehe Im sorry about it being so dark, looked fine on my computer, though it is supposed to be pretty dimmed, I tend to like the atmosphereuser added imageGot all this on my school PC, so ill be tweaking some tomorrow and get a lighter render for you guys.

As far as the horizon and lighting goes, my teacher did all the work on the lighting, pretty much. I really don't know what he did and barely how he did it. Haven't gotten as far as lighting and texturing yet, but I'll play around with it, with your crits in mind and see if I can come up with a better result.

Thank you user added image

# 7 14-09-2010 , 01:10 PM
Subscriber
Here's an update from todays work. I am really not happy with this at all, so many things that just annoy me. The texture on the cabinett or whatever it's called, is def not permanent, just something I tried and didnt like. But this is definately a much brighter render, hope your monitors can handle it now :hug: user added image

So far this is probably the best product im capable of with the skills I have currently, at least as far as rendering, lighting and textures goes. But im checking out tutorials and guides, + were gonna get into materials and such next week, then moving on to textures and lighting. In about 3-4 weeks we get our first major assignment, which is making a photorealistic interior, this project here is just a minor one to learn the tools etc.

So here goes:

# 8 14-09-2010 , 01:12 PM
Subscriber
Didnt show up in the previous post, trying again:

Attached Thumbnails