Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 30-12-2004 , 06:04 PM

Undo Poly smooth ?

user added image I want to go make some changes only i cleared it so i can't use the undo function, is there another function in the menu which can reverse the process ?

# 2 31-12-2004 , 05:52 AM
Subscriber
I don't think I understood this question. what did you mean by clearing it?

# 3 31-12-2004 , 10:17 AM
i cleared the history so i can't use Ctrl+Z.. :bandit:

# 4 31-12-2004 , 06:43 PM
Subscriber
I never had problems undoing everytime I clear my history. Problems I do have is sometimes the hot keys don't work, so you got to do it manually. Maybe instead of clicking on cntrl Z, you can go up on the Edit menu, and click on the undo option. I usually have that menu open when cntrl Z doesnt work for me. I'm no wiz or anything so I don't know why it does that. If someone knows, I'd like to know. user added image

# 5 02-01-2005 , 07:22 AM
Subscriber
unfortantly, i think once you have smoothed, and del your history. There is no way of reverseing the process. You can do polygons, reduce function which might help, but it makes a mess of your model.

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.
# 6 02-01-2005 , 08:08 PM
Could try converting it to nurbs or sub-divs.

The cartoon dog tute does this heaps of times fliping from nurbs to ploys over to sub-divs then back to polys then back to sub-div then back to nurbs.

Last edited by Zagan; 02-01-2005 at 08:13 PM.
# 7 03-01-2005 , 02:53 AM
i find it reassuring if when im making such a change to save the scene as "(scenename)temp" and see how it turns out that way if you cant undo and you dont like it you can just reloaded the original...

# 8 03-01-2005 , 03:30 AM
This is a bit late but I just re-created your situation, created a complex object, then smoothed and deleted the history. Undo works fine. Also, like Ahnslaught mentioned, sometimes the hotkey doesn't work and you have to do it via the edit menu. Now, if you closed out your project then tried to do it after re-opening, you're obviously going to be out of luck.

A couple of future suggestions would be to a) go into the preferences and increase the number of undos (to like 50 or so) and b) in the file > save scene dialog box, tick the incremental save box and make the number whatever you want. Now, each time you save, maya will create a new file (up until you reach the limit you specified). This way you have files you can go back to if you mess up along the way (or if something gets corrupt, somehow).

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 9 03-01-2005 , 11:52 AM
Subscriber
I've found that Ctrl+Z doesn't work if I've accidentally switched Caps Lock on. Yup, simple as that. That might not be why you guys are having probz of course...

# 10 03-01-2005 , 07:16 PM
i think that u can undo it with CPS Plug-in , there is in it a function that undo the smoothnes .

here is a link for the Plug
Cps
if u got questions on using it , u can write here , i will try my best to help u . user added image

actually , it wont work user added image i tryed it now it didn't effected .
user added image

Last edited by mussa; 04-01-2005 at 01:02 AM.
# 11 03-01-2005 , 09:23 PM
Subscriber
I had the same problem before almost. I smoothed my model to see how it looked, and then closed the software and then accidently saved it. It really sucked, so i went back to my last saved project and start over from there which wasnt that far away but still took a bit of time.

# 12 05-01-2005 , 04:11 PM
user added image hehe thx for the help anyways, just another lesson i guess lol user added image save files under different names user added image

# 13 05-01-2005 , 06:33 PM
You don't have to save under different names if you use incremental save.

# 14 09-01-2005 , 12:51 PM
Subscriber
mmm... This thread must be the reason why I couldn't get any answer to my other one asking the same question :/

I took a couple of minutes to make a try...

If you delete History, the "undo" function covers even the "delete History" function (as it's been already said); so you can step back until your history's back too and go to "PolySmoothFace"->"Division" of the object and set back "0" where now is "1" or "2".
This, until the document stays opened and you've set a reasonable number of undo(es) in you pref.
As far as i could get, if you delete history, save the file, close it and reopen it, there's nothing left to do.

BUT: if you DON't delete history (at least after having smoothed), save your file, close it and reopen it, (even by quit and re-launch Maya!) you won't get any undo, but *still hold control over the "PolySmoothFace" values*!

Now, if all I wrote is true (and I believe it is), the question should turn in another shape:

"Is there a way (menu-function/script/or whatever) to prevent the function 'DeleteHistory' from deleting the 'PolySmoothFace' option?"

(Or, if you prefer, to "freeze", or "lock", the smoothing control in a way that is not affected by deleting history)?

cheers
ale

p.s.: I took a glance at the "CPS PlugIn" page and d/led it. I don't think it'll recover anything but it looks like an answer to my last question. Even if I'd prefer something way more 'Simply' ;-)
(Still not tested, btw...)...

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs,
it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation.
# 15 09-01-2005 , 02:52 PM
Try going into the hypergraph, viewing both up and downstream connections, and deleting the smooth node. As far as customizing the history goes, I'm sure it could be done as the extensibility of Maya's API is really what makes it most appealing.