Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 29-07-2006 , 11:27 PM
Subscriber

My Graduate ShowReel

Finally finnished it

Would really like some feedback on it

Here's a link to the showreel (it's in DivX format)

Neil Roberts Showreel

(About 13megs)

# 2 05-08-2006 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
I have some constructive criticism.

The big thing about it, is the music...you don't want to have something on there that will cause someone to want to turn the demo reel off...that's bad bad, if you're trying to find a job. I had the urge to turn it off immediately because i don't like that kind of music.

also, the lip synching didn't really seem like it belongs with the whole thing...the different voices didn't flow very well. not to mention you had some language issues in one of them...i think it would be best to avoid that. after all, you don't want to offend the people you want to hire you.

https://www.pixar.com/companyinfo/jobs/howto.html
Here's what pixar wants in a professional demo reel.

https://www.lucasarts.com/jobs/demoreel.htm
And LucasArts.

Take a look at those to see what companies are looking for.

# 3 15-08-2006 , 03:56 AM
Subscriber
thank you for the constructive criticism

The music used was not of my personal choseing I copied it from "The Mill" show reel and thought it would suit some of my aniomations (the robot, jack in box, office ghoul), but I bloody hate the song now.

I was also told alot of companys watch them with the sound off and therefore the musicc was an after thought.

The sword fish lip sync is going to stay as alot of people love the fact I chose this speach. I`m looking for a UK job and many have said they love a good jab at the Hollywood film companys. If people are really offended by that word I don`t think I would fit in there, as lets face it, its now a common word. (its even in Transformers the movie) but I hear what your saying.

I think the music now has to go (on that I`m with you) and the editing of the reel needs looking at and thank you for the links they were most helpful.

cheers

# 4 15-08-2006 , 05:00 AM
i think you would get a lot more feedback if people didn't have to run around online to get the proper player to be able to see your demo reel. if you have it compressed with divx but in avi format i'm pretty sure that would be more readily downloaded and watched by a larger audience than with the actual divx format.

when i installed divx, i got rid of the player and kept the codec for watching avi files and compression capabilities in after effects. i believe the most easily viewed file formats to be .avi, .mpg, and .mov. as long as you let them know what codec you compressed it with they'll know if they can watch it.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 15-08-2006 , 06:50 AM
Subscriber
core media player, zoom player, B S Player

all play the videos as *.divx its only windows media player (which I hate) that does not and thats only because microsoft do not like the fact that divx beat them at their own game.

Heck even windows media player classic plays them
(a far supior media player.)

I know what you mean though it is a pain but anything else and the file size doubles. I perfure quicktime but for a 1 meg divx file quicktime verson was 23 meg

Divx convertor does not allow you to make them *.avi anymore which is a shame.

When my old flatmate sorts out some work going to post a link to divx in the video section

# 6 15-08-2006 , 06:52 AM
Subscriber
scrap that I just found out that all I have to do is rename the files from *.divx to *.avi and they work fine. Have to redo the website alot sooner than I thought.

# 7 15-08-2006 , 07:16 AM
Subscriber
lol - pixr says no music an lucas says its crutical to get it right

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 8 15-08-2006 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
music was alright but showreel was better, nice... user added image

# 9 16-08-2006 , 07:15 AM
Subscriber
@ marlonjohn - thx man

if you want to see any of the videos in full pop over to www.ravage3d.com
and you can watch them from there.
Shiitbot is some what lost in the showreel the full thing is really funny

# 10 16-08-2006 , 06:59 PM
Subscriber
was flicking threw the website, pretty neat and cool..
i really like that girl model... pretty pro

# 11 17-08-2006 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
lol

# 12 18-08-2006 , 08:49 AM
nice! show real, really good animation but the music didn't seem to go with it for me but i still think it was tight user added image .

# 13 19-08-2006 , 12:03 PM
Subscriber
ok I need some new music. but what.

I`m not haaving nothing as that will kill me but I have no idea what to use.

Any ideas ???

# 14 19-08-2006 , 08:45 PM
hmm lets see.... how about something with not much singing to it, evanescence eternal seems like it'll be good up until the raining part but if you want something with singing let me listen to some music while watching the demo reel...

# 15 20-08-2006 , 09:26 PM
Subscriber
just found out I got a job interveiw tomorrow with a games company in London because they saw my work on this very thread.

(they liked the swordfish bit)

me very happy, just need to get it now.

Kepping quite on which one for now