Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-01-2008 , 11:59 AM
Subscriber

Please help!

Hello all,

I've got a .mov file which I've rendered (using After Effects) into a .jpg sequence. I'm trying to plug the sequence into the colour attribute of a lambert shader but it's not taking.

I've tried a couple of other .jpg sequences, the ones which I've rendered using Maya are fine but anything else I've tried (AE, Premiere, PI) doesn't work. Is this an issue which anyone else has come across? Is there a sollution?

I'm coming to the end of my final year project and I'd hate to be tripped up by a stupid oversight on my behalf, if anyone can help me out it'd make my day.

Cheers in advance,

Mat.

# 2 19-01-2008 , 12:25 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi Mat , this might not be the problem but have a read anyhow .

In order to use a sequence of image files , the file name must be expressed in one of the following three formats:
name.#.ext
name.ext.#
name.#

To use a sequence to create an animated file texture, the file extensions must be separated from the basename and, or the extension by periods.
For example, the following works:
test.1.iff
test.0001.iff
test.1
test.0001
test.iff.1
test.iff.0001

But the following would not work:
test1

Make sure you have your periods in the right places as Maya expects to see it before the sequence number and padding and before the jpg extension.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 19-01-2008 , 08:19 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Jsprogg,Jsprogg

I figured it was something to do with the format of the file name/number/extension, AE's default format uses an underscore rather than a period, hopefully that's the issue.

Cheers a million for the reply,

Mat.

# 4 19-01-2008 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber
4digits works best.. at least for me.

name.0001.tif for example

# 5 19-01-2008 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
Cheers guys,

I got it working this morning, I still have no idea what the problem was though....

Basically it seems to me that Maya doesn't like the output from AE, I changed the file sequence title to be MonitorScreen####.jpg (without the underscore) and Maya still wasn't happy about it.

In desperation I took the sequence rendered from AE and loaded it as a background in Particle Illusion and got it to spit out a new .JPG sequence with exactly the same titles on each frame and it works..... go figure!

I'm not sure what the problem was but I'm happy that it works now, hopefully I'll not have the same problem again in future projects!!

All the best,

Mat.