Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 121 15-08-2011 , 04:27 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
okay so a new update..been researching hair a bit more too......

Took out the old hair system and broke the skull cap into two sections now - sides and top. Decided it would be easier this way and also added extra nurbs curves all over.

Ive added a new hair system to the sides as you can see in the image below. The control is better. I am using curves as guides although I could have just generated the hair on the caps. Im just tweaking the clump settings and the multi streaks for the in between additional hair as its a little wavy right now, but Im happy with the progression. You can see in the insert image the curves for the top of the hair. So she wont be looking like a bald dude with a skull cap lol.

cheers
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 122 15-08-2011 , 04:36 PM
SM Tea Boy
Dam that's what happens when you go down the pub and fall asleep.

Hair is starting to shape up nice mate user added image
Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 123 15-08-2011 , 04:41 PM
Subscriber
ha ha Dave.

Jay. Ive only used hair a couple of times and it was really rudimentary stuff. Are you using the curves as just a visual guide, or have you attached the hair to them so that they control the direction of the hair? If not the curves...how are you shaping the hair. I remember there is like a 'comb' ability, to manually direct it, but it seemed a bit crude from what I remember. Or you can control hair through maps too can't you...are you using any for this? The hair I used was in Maya 2008, but I think I'm right in saying that's an area that autodesk have made improvements in recent versions?

# 124 15-08-2011 , 04:57 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi Jay

it's getting there user added image
I could be mistaken ( happens quite often actually) but every time I look at the model I have a feeling that the head should be a bit more elongated.

With regards to the hair system I have seen a guy make the general shape with 1 hairsystem and then add 2 more systems :
one for the short hairs and another for some random hairs to break it up ( make it more organic..

# 125 15-08-2011 , 05:48 PM
Thanks guys.

Dave: Ahhh it happened to you too LOL, thanks mate, speak on skype in a bit.

Ben: Yeah Im using curves to control the hair, you can generate follicles from the hair cap itself but this is my preferred method on this one for now, I can control the direction and its style easier this way. The hair tool is more suitable for shorter hairs like beards etc. So Ive found anyway. Ive only ever brushed Maya fur in the past, its not too bad but to coin a phrase: Its like brushing your hair with the lights out.

Mastone: Cool. Yes Im going to do the same as well, so this will probably have 3-4 hair systems on it by the end but I need to get the main bulk of it done first you know the strokes.... This is actually my first real proper go with Maya Hair, Ive tinkered with it but nothing too serious, as Ive only used fur before, but its becoming clearer as I go with what I need to do, its nice to learn something new now, as Ive been supervising the model build on a film thats coming out in February next year, now I have a bit of time to learn new stuff. Im lucky to say I made friends with a brilliant FX td from Italy and he really knows his stuff with Hair and cloth so if I run into probs I just give hime a shout LOL

cheers
J

# 126 16-08-2011 , 10:49 PM
New Update....its almost there, just tweaking the crown at the back. Theres a bit of crowding of curves so need to sort that out. Added a few loose strands to start the finer hair areas too now

cheers
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 127 17-08-2011 , 03:05 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Looks very nice already, there is something strange going on where the 2 hairsystems meet however;
- the top hairsystem needs to bulge a bit more
- the tesselation on the top hairsystem is a bit rough ( around the pony at the edge-silhoutte-), I mean the curve has a bit of a hard angle to it, you can resolve this by adding a third hairsystem ( or adding more cv's to the curve-rebuilding it-)

Just by viewing your progress I get a bit of a stomache ache remembering my first hair doodles ( styling hair with a newtonfield got the better of me in the end LOL), your first attempt looks much better , keep it up user added image

# 128 17-08-2011 , 04:16 PM
thanks for your 10 cents mastone. Of course my attempt is better LOL

curves dont need a rebuild. plenty of cvs already. More than 8 would just take the piss a bit and would end up with kinks.

As ever Im using reference I dont leave home without ituser added image . The reference I have theres not really much flesh in the 'parting'. So the meeting of the two systems is correct, I just need to move the curves here and there to still gain some extra baldness there. If anything the front needs to come down more and the side nearest camera needs to come up toward the hair crown.

Im not using newtons at all as I mentioned in a previous post, its all curved based. this is Maya hair - even with the clump system it uses you dont need fields. Just use the brush hair tool. I already tried that but it doesnt suit this piece .You could create the dynamic hair but Im using static.......

Its all tweaks.....as ever.......

onwards
Jay

# 129 17-08-2011 , 05:16 PM
Technical Director
Ugh. Hair. I was doing this for about a month and a half straight for a project at work. Long hair is the worst. How come you're not using shave anymore?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 130 17-08-2011 , 06:18 PM
Hey John

I couldnt be assed to get it for 2011

What is this fear of all things hard that everyone has - with CG hair. We all had a hard time when we first opened up maya - remember those days?? ...sss looks too waxy, dis maps dont work......mental ray is as queer as a bottle of crisps!!! And when it was ahhh holy crap look at Zbrush interface......muuuummm!!!

Come on guys, a man was put on the moon ffs!!

If that can be done back in the 60's on less than cell phone technology, Im sure us as individual artists in the 21st can find a way to do CG hair. I'm sure this attempt wont be the best out there but it wont be my last thats for sure.

I think once this is done to a good enough standard then I'll do a bit of a write up and share my findings.

J

# 131 17-08-2011 , 07:06 PM
The thin red line
I used maya hair and curves for the avater contest, a lot of playing around with the setting but I must say your results are looking a lot better then mine, it would be nice if you do a wright up.........dave

# 132 17-08-2011 , 07:18 PM
will do Dave

J

# 133 17-08-2011 , 11:50 PM
Technical Director
Not complaining. It's just difficult to get hair that looks good. A lot of tedious tweaking and redesigns, especially with clients.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 134 18-08-2011 , 12:02 AM
I know mate, I just meant it as a general observation, people are very reluctant with that sort of thing

J

# 135 18-08-2011 , 12:33 AM
Last one for today

Jay

Attached Thumbnails