Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 04-09-2005 , 02:35 AM

Castle image

My castle image. All critiques welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-09-2005 , 12:34 PM
Subscriber
Hm, i like the lighting alot. But is the ocean and the mountains 2d. I like the ocean or lake and mountains alot, really inspiring.

# 3 04-09-2005 , 12:43 PM
Thanks for the compliment alienspace.

Yep...the image in the background is a 2D image. I decided to use it because I think it fits with my foreground scene so well. I placed a point light with depth map shadows where you see the sunset and colored it a warm orange.

# 4 04-09-2005 , 01:20 PM
i think you must use more lights in order to fake some global ilumination. And maybe to light the castle because i cant almost see it.
the background is really well done, it really looks like a part of the scene user added image

# 5 04-09-2005 , 01:37 PM
the sea is the wrong scale and it throws the depth of the image off. Why dont you find a better sea picture that's a better res and do it that way.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 04-09-2005 , 08:59 PM
Banned
You can create a very nice scene for your castel using Bryce.

Further more, very nice. Nice job on the castel. user added image

# 7 09-09-2005 , 09:09 PM
Subscriber
wow the nly thing i can c wrong with it is that the sun is weird it doest quite look rite with the refelection off the sea other than that great job

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 8 10-09-2005 , 04:37 AM
Subscriber
I'm going to ping a bit on the castle itself. It appears that the castle if covered, which would make it an odditity as far as castles go. Seems to me that there are usually various structures within on the confines of the walls, courtyards, landing, etc. If the focus was just the backdrop than Pure Morning certainly has valid observations. If the scene as a whole is considered that the castle seems glaringly simplistic.
regards,
Michael

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 9 14-09-2005 , 08:26 PM
Subscriber
Yeah, the castle shouldn't have a "roof" on it.

There are no trees or people, so the only reference for scale is the waves- the end result is you look like you have a castle that is 2 feet tall.