Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-01-2006 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber

Guitar tabs

I noticed some time ago that there seems to be a few guitarists here, so I was wondering if any of you could help me out.

I've lost my favorite resource for tabs, mxtabs.net, which apparently closed due to legal matters. Anyone got suggestions for alternatives? At the moment I'm using guitartabs.cc, but I find it less extensive and most of the tabs of lesser quality...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 2 03-01-2006 , 06:21 PM
Subscriber
hey
im a keen guitarist too!!
the site i use is ultimate guitar
it has normal tab plus guitar pro which u should consider getting as it ids very usefu as it can play the tab back with backing of drums ect.(guitar pro 5 is the latest)
that site has everything

hope this helps

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 03-01-2006 , 06:30 PM

Same

I always used mxtabs sucks that it has closed down, erm but id use ultimate guitar if i were you its second bestguitartabs.cc is kinda basic n a lot of the tabs suck.
What setups u guys on?
Any of you tried out the line 6 swuite which gives you the tone and the tab, on the pod xt, my m8 has it and its sweet if yer loaded with ££ u might wonna get it cos its really easy to learn the tabs + they are all 1000% correct.
I aint got one but wont one!!!

# 4 03-01-2006 , 06:42 PM
Subscriber
Thanks alot guys

ehm, setup? Dunno I'm just a crappy hobby guitartist (self-taught except for some basic chords way back in the 3rd or 4th grade), I just play cause I like it, and it pisses everyone around off cause it sounds like sh*it user added image I think my guitar is some cheap Fender rip-off, and my amp is a Peavey. That's all I know for sure user added image Been thinking about getting some decent gear though, just haven't got the dough atm...

So what do you guys like to listen to/play?

# 5 03-01-2006 , 09:35 PM
Simply Maya OG
Yea, the only major site still open is Ultimate-Gutiar. MxTabs and Taborama (and a few others) are all shut down. Music Industry is trying to copyright tabs that are 100% self-interpreted. Bullsh!t if you ask me. Im on a Line 6 Guitar Port, w/a Epiphone LP Edition and a Fender Squire, Marshall MG15 (I think...) Amp. The Guitar Port is very cool. Just plug it in, plug ur guitar in, and you have endless amounts of effects/tones you can create/download. I use that now instead of my DigiTech RP80 and my DOD Distortion/Chorus stomp boxes. user added image

- Hybrid
# 6 04-01-2006 , 12:09 PM

Nice

Nice, i got a hohner st custom which is awsome the action is a few mm n i love it. I also built myown guitar which is a fender jazzmaster shape with a sunburst paint effect. Sounds really thick and bluesy cant beet it for blues tone. I also have a fender stage 160 which is 160 watt n really loud but i never turned it up above 4 and it goes to 10 =).
Sucks they are closin all the tab sites down, gutted bout that, i think thats a load of crap tbh i dont know how the can copyrght a tab someone has interpreted themselves, its not like people photocopy the sheet music n then put it online.
Lame

# 7 04-01-2006 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber
Closing the tab sites because of copyrights are just bullsh*t! They're just people's own interpretations of the songs, so I guess they'd have to close all of the sites that contain lyrics aswell... I really, really hate the business part of the music business!

Brid, that sounds like a pretty cool setup, does that mean that you don't have to have any effects pedals at all? Sounds like that'd save you a pretty big bunch of $ user added image If that's the case, could you be a little more specific about what you need to do it (like what hardware and software i need. In n00b terms please! user added image )?

# 8 04-01-2006 , 06:51 PM

Line 6

When u get a Line 6 Pod or guitar port or any line 6 multieffects pedal u get some software whihc comes with it, and basically it means you can create + mix effects for your guitar using a really easy to use interface on yer pc, its like making a cake u can just add what ingredients you want and you create sounds. The line 6 pod is bout 200£ but i dunno bout the port bout 80£ ish, i dunno bout the guitar port but on the line 6 pod you just plug yer guitar in one end and pc on the other and it links yer guitar through yer pc and then back out through yer amp, and you can mix sounds and hear them through yer amp. You dwload the software free at the line 6 website but i dont think you can do anything much with it unless you have a port or pod.
If you wont like specific tones like Jimmy Hendrix tone you can also dwload them at the line 6 site and save them onto yer pod so you have them all the time. They are really cool the only thing is that you dont get the joy of actually having the pedal and also it can be a pain changing between tones on the pod because you have to sift through a lot of tones for the one you wont, unless you spend £200 on a midi board with loadsa blank pedals which you can then assign to the tones in yer pod.
Im not a big effects person so i stick to straight tones from my guitar, but i might get one because of the fact you can dwload a tone and the tab to go with it, e.g. Jimmy Hendrix Voodo Chile tab and tone in one, which is cool and saves a lot of time.
Hope that wernt too confusing.
Later
Josh

# 9 04-01-2006 , 07:34 PM
Simply Maya OG
Yea, what jhubbard just said basically sums it all up. The Guitar Port comes with the Port itself, a USB cable to connect it to your PC, and a audio cable, that way you can connect your guitar Port thru your sound card, and itll play out of your PC speakers. It also has 2 RCA ports on the back of the Guitar Port. This way you can connect to an external stereo/amp (if your amp has RCA's), and the software needed to run the port. Its really easy to use/navigate. Theres a ton of amp/cab models to choose from, and you can even download more if you want (but, of course, it cost money). Here's a list of the amp models that are in the software.

Line 6 Chemical X
Line 6 Insane
Line 6 Piezacoustic 2
Line 6 Spinal Puppet
1953 Small Tweed (based on "wide panel" Fender Deluxe)
1958 Tweed B-Man (based on Fender Bassman)
1964 Blackface 'Lux (based on Fender Deluxe Reverb)
1967 Class A-30 Top Boost (based on Vox AC-30)
1968 Plexi Lead (based on Marshall Super Lead)
1968 Plexi Jump Lead (based on Marshall Super Lead with "jumped" channels)
1987 Jazz Clean (based on Roland JC-120)
1990 Brit J-800 (based on Marshall JCM-800)
1993 Solo 100 Head (based on Soldano SLO-100)
2001 Treadplate (based on Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier)
Tube Instrument Preamp

The best part about the Port (in my opinion) is that it has a big black volume knob right ontop of the Port.

Hope that clears everything up. Oh, also. I dont know EXACTLY how much it costs, because I got it for X-Mas. I think its like, $100usd or something. user added image

- Hybrid
# 10 04-01-2006 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber
So all I do is buy THIS wee thing, plug it into my computer and my guitar into it, and jam away, right?

Last edited by blomkaal; 04-01-2006 at 08:26 PM.
# 11 04-01-2006 , 08:57 PM

Yup

Yup thats the one.
Either that or a line 6 pod 2, they pretty much do the same thing.
Have fun m8,
Josh

# 12 04-01-2006 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
Finally found an online danish vendor, and apparently the price on the Port and the POD 2.0 are pretty close, only £9/$15 difference (however they're at roughly £115/$200 user added image ).

So far I'd be going for the POD since you can plug in a Foot Controller (the only compatible one I've found so far, the Line 6 FB4 Board, costs roughly £85/$150), and I can't find any info at line6.com whether you can do that to the Port as well... Not that it matters much as I don't have the cash atm, but which one would you guys choose?

# 13 05-01-2006 , 03:34 PM

hmm

well i think that the port is only to allow u to plug yer guitar into yer pc t doesnt have a memory however with the pod2.0 u can store yer tones on it n use em for gigin etc.
Id go for the pod2.0 cos u dont have to get the line 6 pedals if you buy a regualr midi foot pedal u can programme your tones into it. These are a bit cheaper.
If yer not into gigin etc go for the port cos u will have all you need there. But if you like gigin with yer tones get the pod 2.0.
Anyways have fun,
Josh

# 14 05-01-2006 , 04:18 PM
Subscriber
Ok, didnt read the whole conversations, at school and should not be on, but I feel your pain in losing your guitar tab site. I always used taboholic.com for there convert tab to MIDI thing. It closed of course, so I had to spend an hour to find a new tab site, and another hour to find that software thing again. But man, that thing that converts it really helps, you can change tempo, instrument, and melody. All the good stuff.

# 15 05-01-2006 , 05:15 PM
Subscriber
Josh,

I'll definetly have to check out some more vendors, but if the difference in price is as low as the one I've found so far (roughly £8) I think I'm gonna go with the POD when the time comes. Not having to have your computer turned on to play is always a good thing, and I'd like to have a pedal too, nothing fancy, just to switch things on and off so I can keep my hands on the 'ol axe user added image

Thanks for the help (and you Brid, of course user added image )