Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 11-12-2006 , 12:56 PM

XSI?

I downloaded the trial, just to give it a spin and see what the hype was about. I was wondering what you guys thought of it. I must admit without looking at the walkthroughs im a bit lost besides making a primitive and switching between the diffrent parts (edges, vertices, faces). What got me to give it a try was how i keep hearing how easy it is to model, and how it has the mental ray "fully" intergrated ie not a plugin. So what do you guys think of it

# 2 11-12-2006 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber
what kind of responses do u think youll get on a maya forum. user added image

# 3 11-12-2006 , 02:13 PM
i love XSI, definately a great software.. i use it farely often.. it is second only to maya and Silo:attn:

user added image

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 4 15-12-2006 , 08:29 PM
Senior Software Developer
I started on XSI 4, mainly due to the hype from Half Life 2.

Its not a patch on Maya.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 15-12-2006 , 09:20 PM
XSI is a great program. It is used by a lot of major studios and I'm sure there are a few of us Maya users that are using more than one platform (Lightwave, Max).

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 6 15-12-2006 , 09:30 PM
Subscriber
i use maya and xsi
and max at work.
i can honestly say xsi is lightyears ahead of maya.

and eons ahead of max.

see for yourself.

https://www.softimage.com/products/xs...px?video_id=23

i know some people [including me] say its not the app , its the artist, but give Da vinci a pencil and ask him to draw the madona, or give him a full set of brushes and oils and see the difference [same artist, better tools user added image ]

i started using xsi and only use maya for soem specific uses... barely open it anymore. infact, almost never
:p

# 7 15-12-2006 , 09:59 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I think im going to give it a try. Right now im more focused on learning maya, but im going to try to learn this also. Since i dont want to end up being a one program wonder.