Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 27-06-2007 , 03:28 PM

Legolas_hv - Summer Challenge

mmm

Before some whiles of modeling in this days... and thinking about wtf to do, I simply decided to make something in the line of what I did the last challenge I was in...

I started modeling and before a few hours i made a head.. its only a start, and I haven't even decided the pose or the clothes

And I want to model this guy directly in the pose... I think its harder to model it in a static pose (you know, arms and legs opened) and then try to make it reach any position

What do you think about this?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 27-06-2007 , 03:49 PM
First off, I want to say that I'm thoroughly impressed that you did this head in just a few hours. I mean, the ears, the eyes, the mouth, the nose, the cheeks and the overall shape. All the tweaking, etc, etc. That's some really quick work. Almost doesn't seem possible to me but then again I've only been doing 3d for four months.

If it were me, I'd model the character in the standard di vinci pose and then try really hard to rig the character. If you you do, then you can pose the character any way you want, including animating him, in case you want to use him in the future. If you model him in a pose, then it will make it very difficult if you ever decide to rig him. And if it turns out that you don't like the pose that you modeled him in, you will have a hard time readjusting him.

Welcome to the challenge!

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 27-06-2007 , 05:40 PM
hehe... well I started with maya like 4 years ago.
yeah wooow thats a long time user added image, sure it is

ermm I wouldnt be able to say exactly in how many time I did it but I think it was in 4 or 5... maybe 6? but I dont think so...
well as an interesting experiment I'll try to count the time I'm spending in modeling

I already thoght of doing that, but Im too lazy to do al the rig xD.
And if I want to model wrinkles in the cloth too it would be easier to model them if the character is directly doing his pose

# 4 28-06-2007 , 04:54 AM
19 year Veteran
Good to see you in another challenge Legolas_hv.user added image Is your character going to be a Ninja or a Pirate?

# 5 28-06-2007 , 12:28 PM
HI thx! nice to see you again!
Its going to be a ninja xD
I love martial arts xD
I found a cool pose but ill change the cloth maybe a little to show his face and make it a little more fantastic and stilish
and maybe I'll put a tatoo on his forearm

Attached Images
# 6 28-06-2007 , 04:40 PM
that's a great photo Legolas_hv and I like the start you've made on the head - looking forward to seeing some updates.
user added image

# 7 30-06-2007 , 05:40 AM
Since its quite a simple pose, im trying to pose it directly
It took me like 1 hour and a half to finish the head, and I made the rest yesterday evening but dont know exactly the time, maybe about the same.
Anyway I was talking with my girlfriend most of the time so I think I could have been faster. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 30-06-2007 , 08:43 AM
erm... maybe right now it looks more like a samurai rather than a ninja... I hope that changes when I add more accesories user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 30-06-2007 , 08:54 AM
Still looking good Legolas_hv. He does look a little like a samurai but maybe it's just because of the pony tail. I think once you add some color though, it will look all ninja.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 10 30-06-2007 , 09:15 AM
Subscriber
The only thing that bothers me about the face is the nasolabial fold which I think goes down too deep and is throwing off the form of his lower face a little bit.
Besides that this is looking sweet, man

Are you going to be adding a mask or that hood thing? That will be the most explicit thing you can do to make it clear he's a ninja. Keep it coming, man.

(btw, I'm a fan of your last several entries. Good work!)

# 11 30-06-2007 , 01:19 PM
Thats some nice work especialy when you think how fast you did that. user added image

# 12 30-06-2007 , 02:51 PM
yeah - this is definitely coming along nice. user added image

# 13 01-07-2007 , 02:58 PM
19 year Veteran
Awsome progress legolas_hv!user added image

# 14 02-07-2007 , 11:30 AM
yeah definitely a nice piece legolas_hv
looking forward to seeing it develop more user added image

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 15 02-07-2007 , 12:42 PM
some work in the clothes and the face (just a little, haven't touch that nasolabial-thing)
thanks a lot for your interest!

Attached Thumbnails