Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 30-09-2010 , 11:13 PM
Subscriber

uv map stretches when i select only parts of it

Starting to work on a simple project for texturing but when I select part of my uvs [to better organize them and optimize blank space] the whole uv map seems to be selected. How can I make this not happen?

user added image

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 2 01-10-2010 , 09:03 PM
Lifetime Member
Thats odd mate??? so when you pick just the little square the whole image (all uv's) moves with it?

cheers bullet

PS tried it on mine in the UV space and it was fine

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 04-10-2010 , 10:24 AM
The Nurb Herd
well that little square is detached from everything else so it is called a shell. moving it will make the texture appear to move over the surface.

automatic mapping is not great.

# 4 04-10-2010 , 11:24 AM
Lifetime Member
Is that what n88tr meant hammer??? I thought it was when the square was selected the rest of the UV's moved with it in unison?? LOL forgive my error n88tr, I thought you meant the actual UV's moved...not the texture.

cheers bullet

EDIT: and I agree with hammer...auto map is good for simple geo...other geo needs a bit of thought and planning.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 04-10-2010 , 01:12 PM
The Nurb Herd
i'm not sure to be honest. i just had a guess.

# 6 04-10-2010 , 03:11 PM
Lifetime Member
no mate I actually agreed with you...then I saw in my mind the chequre moving as I moved the UV's....I tried to match texture that way...didnt work.

Now Im confused??

bullet1968

# 7 04-10-2010 , 04:52 PM
Subscriber
the uv isn't textured... it's just the map before i take the snapshot and then texture that snapshot in PS.

anyways i moved on with it, seems ok but I've done auto mapping before and this didn't happen so maybe somewhere along the line i clicked something, i don't know. i was hoping you guys would know.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 8 04-10-2010 , 05:03 PM
The Nurb Herd
without seeing the scene i'm not sure i understand what your problem is.

# 9 07-10-2010 , 12:50 AM
Subscriber
I must not be explaining this right.

Let me try again.

When I automatic map my object I get my uv map. When I try to select any individual part of my map, like an edge or a vert, the whole uv map is selected. Thus, when I drag an edge, vert, etc the whole uv map moves. In the past when I auto-mapped stuff this never happened so it's something new I screwed up I think. I was looking for a fix to this.

I doesn't matter a heck of a lot I don't think, because auto just creates extra uvs and mashes them close together. It's not a huge deal, it's just that I have to texture repeated parts because I cannot move them indivually in the uv map before I take the snapshot and thus make it a texture-able jpeg.

# 10 07-10-2010 , 12:54 AM
Lifetime Member
I thought thats what you meant mate...I have tried to duplicate the problem but cant.....hmmmmm must be a bug. I will try again and get back to you.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 11 07-10-2010 , 08:47 AM
The Nurb Herd
do you have the shell button selected? its the 2nd button from the left on the top row of buttons in the UVTE.

# 12 28-10-2010 , 03:55 AM
Subscriber
it must have been checked because now I don't have that problem when i was working on a new model today.

super awesomeness, its fixed.

Another question!

Say I have a lot of extra parts on my uv map, you know like duplicates. I want to lay them on top of each other to save me texturing time. Is there an option to snap uvs on top of each other? I hovered over each little button there on the uv editor but nothing really looks like what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

# 13 28-10-2010 , 04:11 AM
Lifetime Member
Why would you bother mate??? if they same shape and size etc wouldnt you just map 1 of them then apply that to them all??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 14 28-10-2010 , 09:12 AM
The Nurb Herd
the layout tool will do this.