Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-07-2016 , 09:58 PM

Combine NURBS tools with MEL Script?

Hi there,

In an effort to streamline my workflow I'm in the midst of creating a few new custom shortcuts, but since I'm not that good at scripting, certainly not when it comes to MEL, I've run across an obstacle which I hope you can help me overcome.

You all know that Maya uses separate commands for NURBS curves and NURBS surfaces, and if you for example want to extend a NURBS curve you have to run a command called "ExtendCurve" while you rely on the surface equivalent of that command called "ExtendSurface" when it comes to surfaces. This to me is a bit clunky. It's somewhat of a problem even, which I'm now planning to resolve through the magic of MEL scripting.

What I want to do is simply to create a script which first of all checks whether the selected object(s) is either a NURBS Curve or a NURBS Surface, then depending on the result of the check activates the corresponding tool, which in this example is "ExtendCurve" for curves and "ExtendSurface" for surfaces. As a bonus I would also like it to echo out: "No curve or surface is selected" if that is the case.

I don't think it would be that hard to achieve, but since I'm new to MEL i simply can't do it. Therefor I would really appreciate your help. Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Johan Wendesten