Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 09-01-2006 , 09:54 AM
19 year Veteran
I would like to enter the competition, but I'm trying to find some tut's on Maya fur; and I'm not having much luck. I believe it's better for me to sit this one out reguardless, because someone has allready picked ( of all things ) the subject I was going to model ). Anyway, I'm satisfied in just watching this challenge as it progresses. Many fantastic entries in this challenge to watch.

# 17 09-01-2006 , 01:58 PM
jramauri I send you a message yesterday, did you read it?

about the girl, she's great, I whould like to she what are you going to do with her hair

# 18 09-01-2006 , 04:33 PM
Mayafreak: Thanks man!

t1ck135: You really have a good eye! You always capture the minimal fails in proportion. It's an extraordinary thing! Thanks, I'll fix this.

THX1138: It's a pitty. Well, you can find a good tutorial about fur in Maya docs server. Some time ago you said your MDS doesn't work. If you're Windows user, try to go in Control Panel> Administrative Tools>Services. Maya Docs Server should be listed there, but not enabled. Once enabled it should work properly. I hope.

Legolas_hv: I read it now. It was a lack of comunication between us, but in a near future, we can make that project, don't worry.
About the hair I'm not sure. I could use Paint effects, like I did on the set/oct challenge, or try Maya Hair. I will decide yet.

# 19 09-01-2006 , 09:31 PM
19 year Veteran
jramaui, I tried the administrative tools> services some time ago. But the whole problem with it is actually my fault. I have a "Hijack this" remover program that I use every now and then to keep my system clean, and I accidently deleted a maya wrapper file one day that I think was used for the Doc server. All that I know is that my Doc server worked before I accidently deleted this file.

If it's possible, could you copy and paste, and send me the tut from your Doc server?

# 20 09-01-2006 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
the new tut by kurt is a fur tutorial might wanna take a look.

# 21 09-01-2006 , 10:51 PM
19 year Veteran
I have seen the site add for kurt's fur tut. Sadly, I have no points to download it, and I don't do online transactions.

# 22 09-01-2006 , 11:15 PM
THX1138: Of course, dude. Just click here.

Time for an update. In fact, just a slight update. I'm avoiding to enter the "fine details stage" before I'm really sure proportions are OK. So, I'd like very much if you help me to get weird things here. Specially "Mr. Magic Eye", t1ck135!

Here are some references of my goddess:

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Bjork_Ref.jpg

Front view

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Bjork_11.jpg

Perspective and side views.

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Bjork_12.jpg

Last edited by jramauri; 09-01-2006 at 11:36 PM.
# 23 10-01-2006 , 09:12 AM
hehe, you've got some good reference images jramauri which help to spot little things user added image

The only things that I can pick up from the reference pics are:
The area between the eye and nose could do with a very slight movement (see attached picture). The nose is ever so slightly bulbous at the end (only a very small amount).
The top of the back of the neck in the side view looks like it should go up into the head a little more.

I can only see those very small things now though. You are very nearly there with the head shape, great work and very inspiring! keep it up user added image

Attached Images

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 24 10-01-2006 , 11:50 AM
nice job, looks real already

# 25 10-01-2006 , 04:50 PM
Yeah, great work jramauri. It really is beginning to look like Bjork. And thanks for posting links to info on ZBrush.

By the way, have you seen that great clip of Bjork attacking a reporter in Thailand? I think you can get it through salon.com. Definately worth checking out.

# 26 10-01-2006 , 08:09 PM
19 year Veteran
Thanks for Fur help jramaui. I'm doing a few fur tests to see how it works.

# 27 10-01-2006 , 08:36 PM
Thanks for your replies buddies. I'll work a little more on my model tomorrow. Today I can't... :angery:

Hey Arran, I haven't seen the clip, but I heard about it. It seems Bjork has a strange temperament, but this is one of things take make me a huge fan of her.

# 28 11-01-2006 , 08:05 AM
19 year Veteran
Hope to see more progress from your entry! I felt the same way over the holidays when I could not work on my projector model.

# 29 15-01-2006 , 05:50 AM
You're doing a beautiful job! I would like to make one small suggestion. Model her with an expression (unless you're going to rig her). Might I recommend using the upper right picture on your last picture reference post. Sort of a sly puckered smile with one slightly raised eyebrow.

Very cool, dude!

Dave

# 30 15-01-2006 , 03:55 PM
Finally a sort of update. Last days were busy days... I hope I have more time next week.
Well, I made a UV Layout during last week, but when I imported my model in ZBrush... Boom! It exploded in a unexplanable way. A disaster.
Then today I did it again. This time the layout was a little uglier - it looks like a cabbage - but it's working on ZBrush, what is a great thing. So I must keep with it.

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Bjork_13.jpg

Yeah, THX1138, it's frustrating when we can not spend some time with our projects, but we have to earn some money, dont' we? user added image

Dave: I'll problably rig her with some clusters. I haven't decided yet what will be the final image. But I have to admit this one you suggested is one of my favorites.

Last edited by jramauri; 15-01-2006 at 04:11 PM.