Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 136 18-03-2006 , 08:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
that kind of security just begs to be hacked. And the stuff I'd want to share with folks for the book shouldnt be all that big a deal. For example, I can have people email me with the word on page x, paragraph 3, line 4 or something like that. Unless I'm being bombarded with folks wanting the files! Then maybe some kind of system might be warranted. lol user added image

In the books I always give a plug to simplymaya.com as a place I can be reached for questions, so if you or anyone else does have questions about any of them, feel free to ask here at SM!

# 137 18-03-2006 , 09:09 PM
The Maya Mountain
The more I look at this, the more work I think it needs, but oh well. Thought you guys might like to see another render. user added image

user added image

She's either happy to see me or she's ready to shoot me for dressing her up like that. user added image lol

# 138 18-03-2006 , 10:19 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Mike

the model is great it really is. I think you should adjust the pose just a little to accomadate more sexiness in the character. The ideal pose for this I would suggest is that of Angelina Jolie from the TombRaider 2 movie Poster. Shes got a silver wet suit on (I think)
Im a real stickler for poses of characters, my colleagues in our office will tell you. I usually end up redoing 90% of them on the girls as they end up standing like rocks or men!!

On this one here of yours, her left leg could go back a little more
and also centre it thru the middle of the body where balance of gravity would actually be. It would help sell it more as you already have the hip slanted, jus tneeds the legs working on

Just some thoughts anyhow...

Kind regards
Jay

# 139 18-03-2006 , 10:28 PM
I love the smiley on the star. Awesome touch.

Dave

# 140 19-03-2006 , 12:04 AM
looks great mike - I really like this last pose and the way you have dealt with her hair.

# 141 19-03-2006 , 01:02 AM
Wow...thats amazing. I'm definately getting this book....if I can persuade my mom to sign up for amazon.com.

How much is it gonna cost?

# 142 19-03-2006 , 08:34 PM
Subscriber
that is one sexy cowgirl user added image
same with jay, i think you should put up another pose...:p

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 143 19-03-2006 , 08:43 PM
Subscriber
Her skin on her legs look darker then the top of her body and I think I see camel toe,, or it’s just wishful thinking.:p

# 144 19-03-2006 , 10:01 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yeah the book guys wanted me to cover her, so she's wearing stockings now. If there's a cameltoe, it's in your mind as I didn't put it there. lol

# 145 19-03-2006 , 10:15 PM
Subscriber
hehe,, Owell,, Im still getting the book any waysuser added image

# 146 21-03-2006 , 05:50 AM
I love your stuff, especially your comics and tutorials. So far, Calamity Jane is looking very good!

Attached Images
# 147 21-03-2006 , 06:15 AM
right, but i forgot to mention, i think the thighs are WAY too thin... make them nicer and sexier pose and Very Good!

Attached Images
# 148 14-04-2007 , 10:10 AM
Subscriber
Hi Mike,

I bought "The Game Animator's Guide to Maya" a few weeks ago, the main reason being I wanted a rigged female character to practice with and and for some animation scenes / ideas.

I'm only at a novice level with Maya, so I'm trying to figure out how to make some modifications to the rig. Any suggestions you can offer would be great.

1) Eyes - I'd like to rig eyebones / lookat to the eyes. I'll look at some of the other free rigs I have for ideas, I also have Jason Osipa's "Stop Staring" that shows eye-rigs which I can also use.

2) "Move all" control" - I added a nurbs circle and parented everything to it (by MMB dragging in the outliner onto the Nurbs circle). When I select and move the circle, the joints move along ok, but all the meshes are moving "ahead" of the joints (in Z). I tried parenting the meshes to the "transform3" group, but that didn't help.

Mike

# 149 14-04-2007 , 03:57 PM
before rigging, you always should delete the transformations of the object...

modify>freeze transformations

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 150 10-05-2007 , 05:17 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hey man i bought both your books and i like them a lot,
i use your book(in combination with some other books) as a refference for animating a character(yoda-i've posted him right here in the w.i.p. section-).I hope you don't mind me asking but i've a question about blendshapes;
is there a way to delete history without removing the blendshape, because i can't move blendshapes up in the hierarchy in the deformation order(it just won't move up)and my geometry pops and sizzles if i put certain sliders all the way up. :headbang:
I've combined the mesh and merged the vertices(if i don't merge them the edgeloop around the neck area doesn't smooth)
I was thinking of making the entire body blendshape,which will slow down the system quite a lot i bet, so if you know something better it would be much appreciated if you would share that valuable knowledge user added image