Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 30-09-2014 , 03:21 PM
Subscriber
Thanks David. I always use Mental Ray but want to learn how to use Vray.

Do you know if there is any educational or trial version available somewhere?

Thanks,

# 32 07-10-2014 , 04:01 PM
SM Tea Boy

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 33 07-10-2014 , 09:26 PM
Lifetime Member
Looks awesome, David!

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 34 16-10-2014 , 08:44 PM
Subscriber
Hi David,

I purchased this tutorial ( Interiors and Furniture Vol 1 & 2 ) and must say it's excellent so far. Well done!

The only slight problem is that I could not find any of the reference images you used during the tutorial. I download all 5 packs but there were no images in the .zip.

I haven't needed them so far but am now on 15_door_frame and the ref images for this would be good.

Am i just being silly and not finding them or are they not included?

Thanks,

Jamie

# 35 16-10-2014 , 08:54 PM
SM Tea Boy
Here you go I'll add it to the tutorial download as well, i just checked and it looks like i did indeed forgot to include some of the reference images DO'h

I've attached a zip to this post

Glad you liked it so far.

Attached Files
File Type: zip mytextures.zip (491.5 KB, 1659 views)

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 36 16-10-2014 , 08:58 PM
Subscriber
Awesome. Thanks David user added image

# 37 20-10-2014 , 01:56 PM
Subscriber

Marvellous Designer

Hi David,

I'm working through the MD_02_bed_01 lesson and have followed your directions on reducing the fitted sheet geometry, deleting history and then exporting the bed proxy and fitted sheet into MD.

However when i run the simulation in MD the new garment just goes straight through the fitted sheet object and only seems to catch on the actual bed frame ( please see image ).

I've tried exporting an importing several times but the same always happens.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks,

Jamie

user added image

# 38 20-10-2014 , 02:01 PM
SM Tea Boy
Send me the obj you're using in MD dave@simplymaya.com and i'll have a go and see if I can see what's happening for you.

David

# 39 20-10-2014 , 02:20 PM
Subscriber
I've emailed you the OBJ.

Jamie

# 40 20-10-2014 , 04:01 PM
SM Tea Boy
Hi Jamie,

reversing the normals on the fitted sheet should work, I emailed you back the same advice but thought i'd also leave it here for anyone else having the same problem.

I hope you are enjoying the tutorial so far.

David

# 41 20-10-2014 , 04:13 PM
Subscriber
That's solved it. Thanks David.

Really enjoying the tutorial so far user added image

# 42 09-11-2014 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber

Can't copy UVs

Hi David,

I am currently working through your UVLayout tutorial (uv_layout_part_03). Another great tutorial btw.

I did the UV's for the first leg and then tried to copy those across to the other legs but the software said 'No unflattened matching geometry found'.

I them manually did the UV's for a second leg to see if they would copy across to the remaining 2 legs but it presented the same error message.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Screengrab attached.

Thanks,

Jamie

user added image

# 43 09-11-2014 , 04:16 PM
SM Tea Boy
Glad you're enjoying the series so much.

Are you sure you have flattened the entire leg in the uv view? it might be the bottom or the top pieces that are not flattened in the uv view. even though they don't technically need it you still need to do it. Just hit f then drag a box around everything in the uv view just to make sure, if that does not work i'll look into it further for you.

All the best
Dave

# 44 10-11-2014 , 12:36 AM
Hello everyone, I am following the modeling & cloth parts which so far have been excellent but I have a small issue, do you guys know where we can get the same picture which David uses for the surface detail on the drawers ?

# 45 10-11-2014 , 09:02 AM
The thin red line
Do a google search for "decorative photoshop" there are loads..................dave