Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-01-2006 , 07:34 PM

Connecting neck to body

Hi,
I've been following the tutorial, and i attatched the main head piece to the neck no problem, but when i tried to connect the body to the neck, they both dissapear after i click on union.

When i undo, i get this error message: Result: polySurface2 polyBoolOp2

Does someone know what i did wrong?

Thanks

# 2 30-01-2006 , 07:48 PM

woops

Sorry,
I found out how to do it.

# 3 01-02-2006 , 10:51 AM
it would be nice if you could say what your solution is, then if someone else has it, the answer is here.

# 4 02-02-2006 , 07:29 AM

Solution

Sure,
You simply use the split polygon tool to make a rough outline of the hole you're trying to make. Delete the unwanted faces to create a hole in one or both shapes (depending if they have a hole already) Then you select both shapes and click on "Polygons" then "Combine". After that you can stitch your shapes together using merge vertices. It takes longer, but you get more control. It’s always good to make sure your shapes will line up. The more you plan ahead the less editing you’ll need to do afterwards. You might not need to cut out holes if your shapes already have holes or the shape is flat. For example if you’re attaching two planes. Anyway, hope that’s clear enough. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.