Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 26-05-2007 , 01:13 AM
Subscriber

deformer problem

hi guys,

I'm trying to twist a hoop, -so far with a twist deformer. Unfortunately the more I twist it the more the deformer flattens the hoop out.
I've tried various workarounds (clusters, gouping, nurbs, lattice etc) but it didn't work. I've also tried extruding along a curve and minipulating the curve, didn't work either
The only thing that did work was to deform with a join chain. Now the problem is that I needed the chain to be closed like a circle, otherwise it rips a hole in my hoop. So, is it possible to have a closed joint chain at all?
I've attached three images, In the end I want that the hoop sustains it's volume even when twisted.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated,

cheers

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 26-05-2007 , 02:18 AM
I don´t exactly know if this works but -

you might try to create a joint circle. then create an IK spline in shape of your circle. the curve you get from the IK spline handle tool you can rebuild to desired numbers of CVs. for each CV create a cluster now. so - idk if the circle wont deform in if you have too sharp turns in shape, but you can now animate the clusters which drive the curve which drives the joint chain which drives the geometry.... in theory

maybe it is worth a try.

good luck!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 26-05-2007 , 02:23 AM
ah I forgot to mention - parent the last cluster to the first one so your circle will be closed in shape.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 4 26-05-2007 , 02:44 AM
Subscriber
The problem is that non-linear deforemers do actually keep the objects volume which is why it will flatten as it twists.

A very simple way to get the results you want would be to extrude the surface rather than use a primative. I have attached an image showing, on the left a 360 degree non-linear twist in a NURBS torus primative (the same results that you have), and on the right I have extruded the torus from 2 NURBS circles and have applied the non-linear twist to the main diameter circle, this way the geometry isn't being twisted so there is no flattening as it is not trying to keep it's volume.

Hope that sorts it out for you,

Mat.

edit: I should have mentioned that this will also work with Polys.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 26-05-2007 , 02:55 AM
Subscriber
wow, thank you very much that was quick! I've tried extruding before and I got some wired results but you seem to have got just what I want so I'll give it another go.

thanksuser added image

# 6 26-05-2007 , 04:11 AM
Subscriber
No probs, just remember to only attach the deformer to your path object.

Later,

Mat.

# 7 29-05-2007 , 04:29 PM
Subscriber
hmmm, unfortunately I wasn't lucky. I had actually tried the extrude thing before and it didn't work but I really rushed it so I thought I might have done something wrong.
But I get the same results, Attached twist deformer to curve in my extruded surface and, well you see the result in the pictures below:headbang:
Matt, did you do anything else to your object before attaching the nonlinear, like move pivots or grouping?

thanks a lot

F

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by farbtopf; 29-05-2007 at 04:31 PM.
# 8 29-05-2007 , 05:02 PM
farbtoph,

Glad you got your problem sorted out user added image

Just thought I'd pop in along the side and throw in a suggestion; sometimes out-of-the-box thinking is overlooked user added image

If you happen to like the particular shape that you create from applying a deformer (not the flatness; the overall direction/wonky shape), and would like to re-create it rather easily, you could start out like you did, by deforming a torus, and then create a curve using point-snapping points to it; now you have a curve that is the shape you made with your deformer. From here, just give the geometry the axe and now do the extrude thing (above posts).

Happy deforming ^_^

# 9 29-05-2007 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for all your input guys, it's well appreciated.

severinianthony: thanks for that tip, but I don't think it will work in this case, because I need the twist of my torus to be animated.

Fuser added image

# 10 29-05-2007 , 05:27 PM
Subscriber
Farbtopf,

I've made a quick video of how I did the above image, I hope it helps you out.

RIGHT CLICK & SAVE (8.2Meg)

Incidently, if you are going to be moving the object around in your animation, as well as twisting it with the deformer, you'll need to group the deformer, the NURBS circles and the geometry together so they can be moved and still work correctly.

Take it easy,

Mat.

Last edited by happymat27; 30-05-2007 at 04:48 AM.
# 11 29-05-2007 , 06:59 PM
Subscriber
love your mini tuts mat,

many thanks

# 12 29-05-2007 , 10:09 PM
Subscriber
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: (I was going to include more of these but if you go above a certain number you can't post)

wow I cannot believe that you made a mini tute for my problem. This is amazing thumbs up for that I owe you one. -and it did work!!!:attn:
But its still crazy I did exactly what you did before apart from giving the circle 36 sections (mine had 30) and (that might be the crucial point) not rotating the path curve 90 degrees in x. I had mine flat on my grid. -and well it flattens the whole thing out. How can maya be so picky?

anyway what can I say this is great thanks so much again I really don't know what to say user added image user added image

# 13 30-05-2007 , 04:48 AM
Subscriber
No worries,

I often find that it's easier to spent 5 minutes explaining something through video than it is to try and put it into writing.

I'm glad that it worked for you.

Later,

Mat.