Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-12-2007 , 03:20 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

For the Noobs, Newbies....

hey All newbie or Noob dudes etc...

I have a gripe, and that is new threads: the use of the word 'crap' in the titles of your work. Ive noticed it on two threads already this week.

This may sound real petty but you are presenting yourself in a negative way and it kind of tarnishes the forums here at SM.

If you dont think your work is that great dont post it, but if its improvement you're after then get some feedback in the WiP forum. Be positive in your work, if people see that the title is giving off some sort of negativity it wont get looked at - seriously!

Any threads labeled this way in future will be deleted by my goodself

Many thanks
Jay

# 2 27-12-2007 , 03:21 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
I second that

# 3 27-12-2007 , 04:01 AM
Jr.Who
I actually think it's a way of humbling ones self. If you think that your work is completely amazing, then how will you convince yourself to improve upon it?

# 4 27-12-2007 , 04:03 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Yeah but useing the word 'cr**' isnt really appropreate

# 5 27-12-2007 , 04:15 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I actually think it's a way of humbling ones self

Theres ways of doing it, but in more a subtle way. Please dont try and make excuses...

_Jay

# 6 27-12-2007 , 06:34 AM
Subscriber
yeah i agree using the would crap when presenting work has negative contotations with it, however the reason why i think they say "crap" is to reduce their work being scrutanised,

i now consider myself to be very good at modeling, however their was a time when i was a complete noob, newbie call it what you want, and i never presented my work on this forum with the title crap,

this has to be one of the best forums i have the pleasure of being a part of and i doubt anyone would be as crule as to say that your work is crap because we've all been there, and had to work hard at getting good at using the software

# 7 27-12-2007 , 06:45 PM
Right on Jay.

As you say theres better ways to say that your new to it, and with a bit of a description you would get better crits/comments on the work.

As you say if its described as crap then whats the point of either giving imporvements/comments??

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 28-12-2007 , 06:15 PM
I agree.

In the WIP section it is okey to call your work whatever you want as you actually might think that about the object and want us to help you improve it

But there is no point of posting something you think or call crap in the finished work section. Work with it until it is done or leave it on your hard drive.

First impression is very important, some readers only read the first few lines before they make a judgement.

# 9 28-12-2007 , 06:31 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by Jay
Theres ways of doing it, but in more a subtle way. Please dont try and make excuses...

_Jay

True, there is a subtler way.

Originally posted by elephantinc
Yeah but useing the word 'cr**' isnt really appropreate

I'm guessing that you guys have a different view on the word crap than us in the States?

# 10 28-12-2007 , 09:19 PM
crap isnt really a bad word, dont really see a problem with it.

# 11 28-12-2007 , 09:24 PM
Crap isnt a bad word true, but you should never criticize your own work especially when it is posted in the finished work section.

# 12 28-12-2007 , 11:02 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
It's not that the word 'Crap' offends anyone, it's the fact that titling your threads like so, just makes the forums look bad.

If your going to post a thread just give at an appropriate title.
Even if you think your model is 'Crap'.

plenty of people have come up with ingenious ways of titling their threads, so as to say... "Hey please look at my work, but don't expect much".

This thread should be made Sticky so no one forgets, and so new members don't get their threads deleted without knowing why.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 13 28-12-2007 , 11:04 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I know a lot of English people have a completly different view of the word than alot of americans
i would definatly say its a bad word

# 14 28-12-2007 , 11:18 PM
Senior Software Developer
Folks. There are a lot of differences in English and the US version.

Trust me, using crap is derogitory and most ppl learning English learn the international version (proper english) and not the US version. Examples:

US: Fanny - International English: Means a womans privates
US: Ass - International English: As bad as saying Arseh**e

I could go on all nite, but I wont.

The US version of english is lazy and quick. Please think about what your going to post and if u think it poor and want comments. try:

New User - House Model WIP. Pse give comments

See, easy and no use of poor language.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

Last edited by R@nSiD; 28-12-2007 at 11:23 PM.
# 15 28-12-2007 , 11:35 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Yeah i dont think most americans know of how much variation there is between standerd english and american english
May i just say you may as well use s*** as far as some brits are concerned