Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 26-04-2006 , 01:34 AM
Subscriber

Texturing messing up

Alright, I layed out all the UV's for my texture and i painted it, made it really simple (3 colors). This is my first time texturing and I'm just doing a quick job because I dont have much time to do it. Anyway, here's a screen shot of some different things to help explain.

Attached Images

Death is certain, Life is not.
# 2 26-04-2006 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber
Above is the UV map, and below is what I painted. As I said, it was a quick job.

Attached Images

# 3 26-04-2006 , 01:42 AM
Subscriber
Here is a render showing how its messed up. As you can see, everything is fine except for the main upper portion... I rechecked all the UV placement and they're in the correct areas... I can't figure it out for the life of me. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 26-04-2006 , 01:22 PM
Your UV map is an absolute mess. There should be no overlapping UVs. That's the problem. plus, you have to understand that the UVs represent surface area on your model. If there is a small group of UVs sitting all by themself and you paint them then the paint will show up in whatever area of the model that those UVs are assigned to. That's what happened to your model's paint job.

If you don't know how to lay out UVs then I suggest that you select your model then choose "autoUV" This will lay out your UVs nicely but you probably won't be able to just paint blobs. I assume you are painting with Photoshop?.. anyway, The UVs will be layed out nicely but some of them will be seperate from the "main group" and you will have to figure out which tiny patch of UVs is assigned to which part of the model. The easiest way to do this would be to paint the small patches of UVs with bright colors then apply them to the model and see where they end up. Once you know where all the UVs are assigned then you can paint your model with confidence that the paint will go where you want it to.

Remember; Maya isn't designed to be easy. you may want to buy some books and download some tutorials..

# 5 26-04-2006 , 04:27 PM
Subscriber
Well the reason the map is a mess is because i seperated the different surfaces into the 3 colors they need to be. The model and texture is a quick job for a game demo i have due tommorow, and since I'm restricted to using a small imahe for the texture map and just seperated it all and threw them on top of each other because in the game industry its common practice to overlap uv's... maybe not to the point in which I did it... but nonetheless...