Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 28-03-2013 , 05:46 PM

Wrap object around a object

Hi
I really need help.

I am creating a wand (polygon-cylinder),

but how do I wrap a pattern around it? /

And whats the best way to create the pattern?

I want to create something similar to these wands
user added image

Thanks in advance
Emma

# 2 28-03-2013 , 06:09 PM
The thin red line
I made the one on the left my making the mesh live then drawing a cv curve around it then extrude a nurbs circle along it, on the right way made by making a poly helix the using a flare deformer on it..........dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 29-03-2013 , 01:22 AM
Lifetime Member
To be honest mate....Sculptris or Zbrush would be much easier.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 29-03-2013 , 06:42 PM
thank you for helping me out, how do i make a poly helix using a flare deformer on it? I am a beginner in Maya. Thanks

# 5 29-03-2013 , 07:23 PM
The thin red line
Go to "create/polygon primitive/helix" you will need to play with the setting. Next select the helix then go to Animation menu "create deformer/Nonlinear/flare you will need to adjust two setting at a time..........hope this helps............dave

# 6 01-04-2013 , 09:55 AM
ill let you know how I get on. You are very helpful. I appreciate so much.

Thank you so much Dave

# 7 21-04-2013 , 02:34 AM
I have been struggling; it’s really difficult getting it right, is there any alternative ways.....
If I trace with the cv curve tool, how can I make the curve line bigger (explode it)?

thanks

# 8 21-04-2013 , 05:15 AM
Lifetime Member
Zbrush or Sculptris, this is good practice but trust me, doing it in a sculpting program will save you headaches.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 21-04-2013 , 07:27 AM
The thin red line
Could you show witch one you are struggling with.............dave

# 10 21-04-2013 , 11:12 PM
Your best option within maya is to make the wand cylinder live and draw a cv curve path on it and then use this curve to extrude either a nurbs cirle or a polygon face along.

The curve itself has NO thickness and does not render it is only used to extrude aomething along. If you want a taper you'll have to use a poly surface as there is no option to taper a nurbs circle as I recall.

Maya is borked for me at the moment so I cannot verify or record a video for you. Maybe someone else can make a quick video of the process.

You can then take this into mudbox or zbrush or scultris (free) and refine it to add the bumps and finer details.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 11 23-04-2013 , 02:23 PM
Thank you alll for your help

I have thought
Mudbox, Sculptris or Zbrush will be my last alternative option, if I fail the professional accurate way...

adjusting two setting at a time with
poly helix using a flare deformer on it that seems advanced to me, not really sure exactly how.... seems to be a good technique...

I am thinking of using cv curve tool.
problem I have...

If I use cv curve tool, is there a way....

(Please refer to the image attached)
The image uploaded is the top view of the wand, can it automatically curve itself along the wand?

If I draw lines along the wand, I want it to snaps the cv curve points automatically out side the wand, not cut inside to the other side. I want it to create for me extra points within the starting point (A) to the last point (B) (extra points automatically generated to the outside of the object).

and finally then how do I extude (not sure if that's the right term) the curve and so that it's not thin and so that it will render.

I feel so dumbuser added image
Thanks soo much

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 23-04-2013 , 02:25 PM
ps I done the image in photoshop...