Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 18-12-2012 , 05:20 PM

Flickering/ buzzing textures

Hi,

I think this is more than likely a old issue that has been asked before but I did not see a thread on it.

I am pretty new to rendering in Maya. My habit has been to use texture files applied to default shader materials and in some cases bump maps. Generally I either use a default fractal bump or I use the same image as the texture file but in grey and with contrast adjusted. I only adjust the UV repeats in the placement settings until I get a look that is ok. I am talking things like grass or asphalt-not textures that need careful placement.

In Sketchup for instance I can do roughly the same thing and the textures give no problems with and animated camera but in Maya they flicker, buzz, look like TV static-whatever you want to think of it as-when the camera moves.

This also happened when I used a grass shader I downloaded. I am using Mental Ray but this occurs with Maya software as well. I am not sure if this is because of my rudimentary way of applying textures or what. I imagine there are better ways to apply textures but I just want to spread out a grass texture like a carpet. Can someone suggest a solution or tutorial that will help me understand this issue relatively quickly as I have a quick turn around on this project.

This seems to be a common problem and solutions vary from deleting history, to changing projection settings to baking textures. Not sure which rabbit hole to go down. user added image

Thanks!

# 2 18-12-2012 , 06:47 PM
Technical Director
Can you post an image?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 18-12-2012 , 07:44 PM
Sure you bet-I have a clip too but I will see if I can upload it as it may be too big. But suffice to say the grass area/asphalt and roof tops in this image are all buzzing.

user added image

BTW I know the model looks blown out-I hadn't corrected gamma for physical sky before I rendered this but the problem remains after.

Thanks!