Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 04-03-2007 , 02:10 PM
Subscriber

Armoured Personal Unit

hi,
Here is my try at the APU its almost finished need some work on the cabin part make the control panel and stuff.
I'm planning on rigging and animating it with a nice animation with the Sentinel from the matrix. :attn:

BTW: little warning it are very big images 1280x1024 :headbang: user added image

user added image

user added image

------------------- WIP ------------------

--------------- Finished Work -------------
Apache Helicopter
Armoured Personal Unit
Apache Finished
Ferrari 360
Mech
# 2 04-03-2007 , 04:11 PM
Subscriber
THE IMAGES ARE A LITTLE LARGE!!!
Maybe u should shrik them.

Nice model though user added image are you gonna texture it?

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 3 05-03-2007 , 12:16 AM
Subscriber
maybe but that would be a lot of work to texture this model.
i made image a bit larger because the model it self is pretty big and so you can see a bit more detail in the model with these images

Apache Helicopter
Armoured Personal Unit
Apache Finished
Ferrari 360
Mech
# 4 06-03-2007 , 06:55 AM
Subscriber
animation was pointless so its not any use anymore :p
ill do another later on when its textured

Apache Helicopter
Armoured Personal Unit
Apache Finished
Ferrari 360
Mech

Last edited by Redmer; 11-03-2008 at 09:36 PM.
# 5 09-03-2007 , 10:58 PM
for the images, if you want to show more detail, you can still use smaller images but get closer to the model with the camera and render it out. a huge pic of the entire model doesn't help us see detail, it just shows us a larger render of the entire model. zoom in and do some renders of the areas where you think more attention is needed... and do more than one, then post them all.

as for the animation. i have no idea what's going on there. i see at the very end it looks like he takes a step, but the camera movement is TOTALLY unnecessary and makes it really hard to a) see the model and b) notice the movement. if you take out the camera movement people will be able to better critique your model in motion and the fluidity of that motion.

Accept no substitutions.
# 6 10-03-2007 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
ok thank you for the crits that is the stuff i need to better my skills

Apache Helicopter
Armoured Personal Unit
Apache Finished
Ferrari 360
Mech
# 7 10-02-2008 , 04:13 AM
i think it looks great bud but i also think you should texture it whats the use in only oging half way? youve got a great model their and by putting in the extra yards and texturing it, it can only get better good luck

# 8 10-02-2008 , 06:20 AM
Subscriber
thnx it has been a long time since i last post something here.
i maybe gonna texture but first before i do that i want to turn everything smooth so that it all looks waay better than the jagedy edges

Apache Helicopter
Armoured Personal Unit
Apache Finished
Ferrari 360
Mech
# 9 13-02-2008 , 11:10 AM
Not too shabby there. However, I would like to comment about the "structure" of it.

What you must take into consideration when modeling something is while you are concentrating on the form of it, you must also consider the function of it as well.

The hydraulic pistons at the top are way too long and there are too many. Applying heavy or overbearing forces would easily snap those like a twig. Consider a shorter, more solid, single piston with a four-link attachment to the arms. Also, beef up the links above the shoulder wheels. Again, way too thin.

Think of it like this... The longer the metal, the less force it would take to break or bend it. Keep it short, solid, and strong.

Also, there are no hydraulic hoses I can see attached to any of the pistons. The cables you do have are hanging out of the rear end unprotected, just swaying in the breeze. Stick them tighter against the frame of the body.

Something I teach my students when taking on any project is to ask themselves one simple question... WHY?

Why am I modeling this? Why is that part built like that? Why does this (insert model here) function this way?

By asking yourself why and then coming up with all of the answers to the questions, you will have yourself a good looking, yet functional model.

Good luck!

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 10 13-02-2008 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
thanks that is a nice comment i can do something with, i never noticed when i made this that hydralics were so huge, thos hoses on the back may be a bit to hanging on the outside maybe it can be done with dynamics or something to give them a natural look? the model is also completly rigged all the pistons on top and so are working like they should, without rotating outside of there place

Apache Helicopter
Armoured Personal Unit
Apache Finished
Ferrari 360
Mech
# 11 08-03-2008 , 12:40 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
# 12 09-03-2008 , 11:25 AM
I personally love the reflection on the surface it's standing on and the details.

A side note, might I suggest to avoid large page breakers that you put the image in format? I've found on previous websites that it works wonders.

# 13 11-03-2008 , 01:50 PM
Subscriber
The model is exquisite! The animation, however, needs a bit of work. Try having it walk in place for a few steps and lose the camera move! :-)

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 14 11-03-2008 , 08:02 PM
Senior Software Developer
Your animation is pointless....

Sorry thats a harsh comment, but u did wot about 90% of starters do. show animation with a camera that orbits, thats of no use to man nor beast as we are not able to see anything. If your gonna orbit than slow it down and do it on a still model. Animate the Walk Cycle with 1 camera locked off.

I like the model, but I agree with the others, texture it. If you want to improve texture the model out. I may take you a while, but ull get sooo much satisfaction.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)