Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 06-06-2005 , 05:43 PM

Cloth Collision Object

I know you guys are probably sick to death of these Cloth Questions, well, here's another.

I made a cloth object to fit around my character. Well, it didn't work the way I wanted, so I modeled one out of NURBs. Well, that was worse, so I tried using the garment/panels/stitching, and it came out pretty good. Problem is, once I ran the simulation I get this:

Warning: Ignoring invalid cloth collision object: 3

It's ignoring object 3,4,5,6,13,15,16.

And it doesn't do anything with the cloth object. It just ignores those and won't move on.

I'm confused as to what to do next. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

# 2 07-06-2005 , 09:45 PM
as many odd cloth sims as I've been running, I don't think I've run into that one....
Although I have run into some odd problems. I've been making all kinds of wierd pieces of clothing.

# 3 08-06-2005 , 02:25 PM
Okay, I fixed that by exporting the model and starting over again. But i'm having a big problem with making the shirt. I've looked at practically every tutorial I can find, but I haven't been able to find anything helpful.

I use EP curves to make panels for the shirt. I stitch the shirt together, but whenever I go to make it, no matter at what CPstitcher resolution, it still passes through the skin. I have the collision offsets and depths at .2, yet the clothing passes though the chest.

It's a long sleeve shirt, yet every time I make it, the sleeves look great, but the chest and back area look like crap. I could use some help with this, thanks.

# 4 08-06-2005 , 07:59 PM
usually its the other way around for me - most of the long-sleeve stuff I've been doing ends up with the sleeves being pulled through slightly (no idea why). As for your chest stuff;
Check solver scale. The program considers 1 unit to equal 1 cm, regardless of the actual unit settings. With a 'normal' person being about 160cm tall, the default jackie needs a solver scale of 10, because its about 16 units tall (that usually fixes this sort of problem for me, making sure solver scale is correct).
You might also want to make sure that nothing is penetrating into the model. This isn't necessarily the problem, but you might want to check.
Fiddle with your collision offsets and depth values. While a .2 offset should be enough, try something slightly larger to start with. Also check on the collision depth value - is it too large or too small? The value 'should' be an estimate of about half the width of the thinnest piece of the model (which, now that I think about it, could be my sleeve problem instigator.... need to check).

That might help.

# 5 21-06-2005 , 02:44 AM

HEN

Originally posted by Xander-0
usually its the other way around for me - most of the long-sleeve stuff I've been doing ends up with the sleeves being pulled through slightly (no idea why). As for your chest stuff;
Check solver scale. The program considers 1 unit to equal 1 cm, regardless of the actual unit settings. With a 'normal' person being about 160cm tall, the default jackie needs a solver scale of 10, because its about 16 units tall (that usually fixes this sort of problem for me, making sure solver scale is correct).
You might also want to make sure that nothing is penetrating into the model. This isn't necessarily the problem, but you might want to check.
Fiddle with your collision offsets and depth values. While a .2 offset should be enough, try something slightly larger to start with. Also check on the collision depth value - is it too large or too small? The value 'should' be an estimate of about half the width of the thinnest piece of the model (which, now that I think about it, could be my sleeve problem instigator.... need to check).

That might help.

:attn:

# 6 21-06-2005 , 02:45 AM

KG

Originally posted by harrison383
Okay, I fixed that by exporting the model and starting over again. But i'm having a big problem with making the shirt. I've looked at practically every tutorial I can find, but I haven't been able to find anything helpful.

I use EP curves to make panels for the shirt. I stitch the shirt together, but whenever I go to make it, no matter at what CPstitcher resolution, it still passes through the skin. I have the collision offsets and depths at .2, yet the clothing passes though the chest.

It's a long sleeve shirt, yet every time I make it, the sleeves look great, but the chest and back area look like crap. I could use some help with this, thanks.