Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 17-07-2005 , 04:23 AM

split polygon tool help

I havent been doing Maya for very long, maybe two days. I am trying to complete this tutorial;

https://www.thehobbitguy.com/tutorial...ing/page02.htm

I have made the polygon but when i have to use the split polygon tool like how he does and he goes along the contours of the picture. When I try to do this the next edge part goes around the edges.

Can some one explain to me what he is doing in this part, please.

Many thanks!

Prejudice Never shows much Reason.
# 2 17-07-2005 , 04:51 AM
Hey..can you post a pic of your model that you have done so far?....I am having a problem understanding what your problem is...maybe from the pic I will be able to tell what you are having a problem with....
TheAnswerRP03

# 3 17-07-2005 , 06:09 AM
As you can see in the picture my line will only go along the edges, how did he get all the contours and the line to more curvey?

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 17-07-2005 , 04:23 PM
Hey...I haven't actually done this tutorial before..but they way I see it...there are two ways (using the split polygon tool)...to get the results as the tutorial shows....
1) add more splits(and create more edges) to the face so that you can get the desired shape
or
2) under the split poly tool options increase the subdivisions...this will create more vertices on the newly created edge...and to move thos new vertices into place so that it looks like the tutorials'

hope that helped..good luck
TheAnswerRP03

# 5 17-07-2005 , 07:34 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie too, and I had a similar problem doing a tutorial a few days ago. In the options for the split polygon tool, do you have snap to edge turned on? If you turn it off, you can make the inbetween vertices which aren't on the edge, and turn it back on again to make the last vertex at the edge, and then complete your split by pressing enter. Another handy tip is that you can click and drag with the middle mouse button to move a vertex you've just made.

# 6 17-07-2005 , 08:18 PM
Thanks!! i got it working!! im going to post my finish product when im done in this thread so you could see it!

It wont be good!

# 7 17-07-2005 , 10:23 PM
im done!!! and with that I have a new problem!

As you can see its not the best but its my first ever model and i say it looked pretty good lol Even though he looks like a soft a cuddlily verison of The Hobbit Guys render lol . My problem is this how do i get my background to change from black to a nice color, to a nice blue color, and make my render look like this render;

the hobbit guys render

https://www.thehobbitguy.com/tutorial...ing/index.html

in that one i want my to be like that with the clay look and spotlight, or this would be very cool too;

https://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/maya/arch/index3.php

scroll down to the bottom to see his final renders.

I really like the blue clay look, i love it! I see so many good renders be like this.

I read somewhere that you need the GI_Joe mel thing, and i got that but i dont know how to use or where to put it.

Attached Images

# 8 18-07-2005 , 07:48 PM
Hey...congrats on finishing your first model...whenever you render something..make sure you create a light....to illuminate the scene and the colors will come out better....if you still want to get rid of the black background....just create a material from the hypershade and apply it to a plane or something and put it as a backdrop to your model (or one cool thing you could do is create a sphere....scale it extremely big so that you can see inside of it....make sure your model is in the sphere...then make the sphere a color that you want......you get a nice background effect)....
as for getting really nice coloring on your modeling....it can be fairly complicated.........you could create another material and try finding a color that suits.......if you still don't like the results....you could map out the uvs and import them into photoshop and create your own textures...but this is getting pretty complicated...I recommend just sticking with the regular colors fills for now...until you can get your hand on some tutorials or books or classes that go more in depth with texturing/rendering..because it is really a "whole new world"..lol....anywho...hopefully that helped....let me know if there are any other problems...good luck
TheAnswerRP03
PS-I don't know if you were interested in rendering in wireframe..but that is done the the hardware render...and there have been quite a few posts in the past.....it's not too difficult to do