Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 04-04-2007 , 03:11 PM

Connecting vertices to form edge

Hello there

Ok a *really* basic question - how can I join two vertices to form a new edge?

any help appreciated

# 2 04-04-2007 , 03:17 PM
Lifetime Member
can you be a little more specific as to what you want to do , your question reads like you have two vertices in space and you want to join them with a line is that correct or are the two verts on the geometry?
I don't think you want to merge the vertices together correct?

You cannot have two verts joined to form an edge there has to be at least 3 to form a polygon.

# 3 10-04-2007 , 04:41 PM
Whoops, yep sorry that was pretty open ended question user added image
If you can have a look at the picture as an basic example of what I mean - how can you connect two separate vertices to form an edge?

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 10-04-2007 , 05:02 PM
Lifetime Member
ok if you want a corner then the best thing to do is
either split between the top left vert and the bottom center and then split btween the center of the new edge to the top right and then snap the new corner into place or delete the face that is on the corner and select one of the edges attached to one of the verts and extrude it toward the other vert to create a new polygon and then merge the vertices.Then use the append to polgon tool to fill the gaps.
Another option is to use the append to polygon tool which will allow you to select the two edges of the gap and fill it but this will create a 3 sided polygon in your case so you would then have to add a vert by selecting the splitedge tool and placing a vert near the center of the diagonal face and then hitting enter and then snap it in the x direction only to be level with one of the original verts and then select the other (z) direction and snap it again to be level with the other.
To snap to a vert hold down V and middle mouse drag over the vert you want to snap to.
Finally you could then use the append to polygon tool to fill the two remaining holes.
I personally would extrude an edge then snap the two new verts of the new polygon to be level with the other vert,then merge the two vertices that are on top of each other.

Last edited by jsprogg; 10-04-2007 at 05:07 PM.
# 5 10-04-2007 , 08:37 PM

Re: Connecting vertices to form edge

Originally posted by gavsr
Hello there

Ok a *really* basic question - how can I join two vertices to form a new edge?

any help appreciated

Like was mentioned, merging vertices is what you're wanting. You would select one of the two vertices that you want to merge, select your move tool, hold "V", and drag the vert until it is on the vert you want it to be on. After you have all of your vertices where you want them, go into object mode, select the objects and under the Polygon menu, select the button for "merging verticies". It's a great technique that you can use for organic modelling (i.e. people animals etc.), and once you've merged verts, you can use the sculpt geometry tool to get some amazing effects.

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 6 11-04-2007 , 12:04 AM
not sure if I am reading this right - are you wanting to recreate that corner or just connect the two vertices? if it's the latter than just use the split polygon tool and click on one vertex and then the other.