Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 30-12-2009 , 04:13 PM

Can not select vertices or faces!

Every time i try selecting anything but objects, Maya won't react. I have been using Maya on this computer before, but this problem has never occurred. sometimes, when I try to select a vertex, the screen flash and sometimes it even crashes.

Have any of you had this problem, or do you know how to deal with it?

Best regards

Akonron

# 2 31-12-2009 , 06:20 AM
You might want to rename your maya folder (on a pc this is in your documents folder not sure where it is on a mac) this will force maya to reset your preferences to the defaults.

Sometimes this fixes problems like you are describing.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 02-01-2010 , 05:24 PM
No, it didn't work. Have you got any other ideas?

# 4 03-01-2010 , 07:04 PM
I have seen one other case with this behavior but I doubt it is causing your problem.

I frequently use "select with constraints" to determine if I have n-gons, non-planar, non-manifold geometry.

I just as frequently forget to uncheck the thing I am trying to select for then invariably scratch my head for 15 minutes before I realize I have select only non-planar or something checked and maya refuses to select anything.

But as you are clearly leaving and restarting maya any select with constraint options would be reset.

I am still thinking about it though and if anything comes to mind I will post it.

Have you changed any hardware, gfx drivers, gfx cards, in particular? I hate to fall back to the old "Have you reinstalled maya?" recommendation but...

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 03-01-2010 at 07:06 PM.