Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-03-2003 , 02:58 AM
Subscriber

HELP WITH LAYERED TEXTURES

Hi, can anybody tell me how can i put the white symbol (not the black background) with an asfalt texture under it?

THX IN ADVANCE

jesus loves you!
# 2 12-03-2003 , 05:56 AM
The Maya Mountain
Hopefully this will give you some idea. Let me know if you have any questions.

# 3 12-03-2003 , 01:52 PM
Subscriber
thx a lot Mike for your help, but in file 2 did you made a full white layer above the alpha channel of the symbol at Photoshop?

jesus loves you!
# 4 12-03-2003 , 02:21 PM
There is another way too. The +/- avg. node. Since the other image is b/w the colors don't get distorted. Below is two examples. One with the node in sum mode and another in avg. mode. Both work but the sum gives a brighter result. In fact in the sum example the whites are "super whites" because the color values exceed the values of 1.0 due to summing. Anyway, at least you don't have to fiddle with alphas if you don't want to user added image. I'm not saying you shouldn't though...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 12-03-2003 , 02:50 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yes, i used just a white color layer with the b/w alpha. Also, I probably should have mentioned that I did a "splatter" effect on it on purpose... the ragged edges aren't being caused by distortion from something going wrong or anything. lol :p The only perfect-looking pavement paint I've seen is fresh-layed, and figured this looked more "realistic."

# 6 12-03-2003 , 03:37 PM

Mine...

I tried it as well, because I'm bored and sick at home today, and here are the settings I used...
The red arrow shows that I placed the chair texture in the 1st spot in the layer order...

I personally would have done it more like mike, adding more realism to the shot, but I think everone has given you many ways o achive thisuser added image

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 12-03-2003 , 10:41 PM
Subscriber
hey guys thx a lot for your help user added image, i'm happy that every one is trying to help me solving my problem!! hey Ragecgi i hope you get better real soon!!

jesus loves you!
# 8 12-03-2003 , 10:41 PM
Subscriber
hey guys thx a lot for your help user added image, i'm happy that every one is trying to help me solving my problem!! hey Ragecgi i hope you get better real soon!!

jesus loves you!
# 9 12-03-2003 , 10:46 PM
Thanksuser added image (actually, I just called in sick... but really, I just wanted a day off) user added image hehe...

Shame on meuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 10 12-03-2003 , 10:48 PM
Subscriber
One more thing guys, supose that i have a big asfalt area, like a parking space, and i want to put tha symbol above at specific locations, what is the best way to do it? I dont want to get tile effect!
thx once again guys user added image

jesus loves you!
# 11 12-03-2003 , 11:03 PM

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 12 12-03-2003 , 11:05 PM
DAM! hehe... Kb you type faster than I do!

I was JUST going to tell him to check thatuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 13 12-03-2003 , 11:37 PM
Subscriber
lol user added image , thax alot guys! i'm downloading it right now!! i'll see if it can help me but i'm shore it will user added image! I'll get to you some feedback after seeing the video!!

jesus loves you!
# 14 13-03-2003 , 12:14 AM
Subscriber
ok, it's a great tut KB but how should i do if i want to put the symbol at several places in the same plane? should i creat diferent layers and place the symbol at diferent positions in each layer ?

jesus loves you!
# 15 13-03-2003 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
OK here it is and how i've done it! How can i save a shader to be used in another project like the ones here at SM?

jesus loves you!