Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 106 10-03-2006 , 03:09 PM
Subscriber
Hopefully not.

Surface sampler is in the Maya 7 modify menu, it allows you to normal map the surface of a very highly detailed model onto a very low poly model. there's a demo of it on this page. I've never needed to use it myself, probably owing to the fact I never make anything that detailed, but it would be nice to see how accurate it can be on minute detail like on your Star Destroyer.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 107 11-03-2006 , 01:17 AM
Subscriber
I don't think the art of model making will ever be lost. the plastic kits for planes and stuff we all got as kids, well we all know that there are elderly folk who do this as a near religion and display them proudly at home. And seriously beautiful there are. That's where it all started wasn't it?

some of the sets on Kong were miniatures and some to scale, that movie is a fine piece of mixed media; digital convergence gets its hands dirty while digging in the dirt. Every known piece of technical wizardry went into that., plus some serious model making.

And I'm here, I gotta learn this, I gotta learn that, ... this app, that app, Jesus at this rate I'll learn nothing...

next I want to learn Camerra, and I haven't even barely scratched at photo shop?? This world, it's competitive and.., more, more more, ... is anyone else feeling the pressure.

Like Tim, i don't want to work washing dishes all my life or working behind a sandwich bar, all noble jobs but I just would like something more rewarding. . I'm running to learn things that get dated every few months, chasing my tail..??

I think I'll take a few deep breathes.

Tim would you prefer a to make a well constructed plastic kit of your star-ship or to do a great job with it on Maya. Irrelevant questions maybe but..???

take it easy and life will be easy
# 108 11-03-2006 , 02:07 AM
lol what did u drink last night. :p

# 109 11-03-2006 , 02:22 AM

Originally posted by concorddawned
lol what did u drink last night. :p

Clearly not enough.

Great work Tim - your model is looking very impressive. Just wondering - have you considered making a lower poly model as well, so you can try and texture some of the detail? - just so you can make a comparison of the two methods and also so you can practice texturing. Just a stupid idea. Anyway, keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing some of those crazy screenshots.

Maybe the Millenium Falcon next?

# 110 11-03-2006 , 11:23 AM
Subscriber
mirek03:- I would love to be talented enough to do a psychical model of the Star Destroyer as I feel that there is something magical about having it in your hands and holding. I have asked for an Airfix model for my birthday but I don't think it be quite on the same level. user added image

arran:- I have thought about the Falcon, maybe one day. But I think the next Star Wars model will either be an AT-AT or an AT-ST (eith of the walkers). Best part of Return of the Jedi for me.
I will do a game version of the Destroyer and try out this surface sampler thing and see if you can tell the difference.

Maybe we should all do a space ship (Star Wars, Babylon 5, Star Trek, Farscape, Firefly, whatever) and do a bit melee.

How smart.

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 111 11-03-2006 , 11:43 AM
Subscriber
I just finished watching the Firefly series the other night and I watched Serenity last night, totally under rated. I rekon the series could have easily run for another couple of seasons but at the same time it could become a classic because of it's short run, who knows.

I'd be up for modelling a space ship, I've never tried one before.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 112 11-03-2006 , 01:23 PM
Subscriber
Cool yeah im up for some star wars Stuff!! now wheres the best site boys?

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 113 11-03-2006 , 02:01 PM
19 year Veteran
You might be able to find some blue prints over at Sci-Fi 3D.com. It's too bad most all their 3D stuff is not Maya friendly, and to top it off, the maya stuff they do have is super poly-heavy.

# 114 11-03-2006 , 02:02 PM
Subscriber
cheers user added image

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 115 11-03-2006 , 02:25 PM
Subscriber

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 116 11-03-2006 , 04:21 PM
Subscriber
There are so many show specific sites out there and the fans are...well... fanatic. They know more about the spaceship design of their shows than the show makers, Galaxy Quest was right on the button!

I got myself some good schematics of Serenity from Firefly so I'm going to have a go at modelling it. Another model is put on hold, one of these days I will finish something in one go!!

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 117 11-03-2006 , 04:45 PM
Subscriber
Sorry about that man, look forward to seeing it though.

Galaxy Quest was right funny, love that film.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 118 11-03-2006 , 08:14 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
On the subject of model making (again)

I wouldnt consider it at all dead in any aspect. Just because the latest Star wars or Kong and Lord of the Rings movies were dominated by Digital FX alot of it is still done with miniatures, things like space craft are models as they are easier to blow up as a physical model than a digital one. If anyone here has the 4 disc sets of each rings movie they will know how many minuatures were shot in there, as with SW Ep3, loads of minuature work. Dont dismay. As the VFX great Dennis Muren has said its easier and quicker to build a model physically than a digital one. If anything is digital its the creatures, Mattes, small atmospherics, compositing and lastly if you are lucky enough the camera in which you shoot the movie!!

On with the show

Jay

# 119 12-03-2006 , 03:03 AM
Subscriber
Tim, don't think the plastic models are not up to par, the true art to them, as any experienced model builder already knows, is to take the kit beyond the manufacturers limited detail. Plastic putty, very fine sand paper, make your own plastic parts with some careful heating or/and vacuum pressing. These kits are only basic and it is the model maker can take them one or 50 steps further. The manufacturer is aware of this and often takes it into consideration when laying out the plans for the kit. There are many techniques to make your model realistic, eg, black paint, acrylic I think, mixed with water and use an eye dropper or fine paint brush to apply it to the exhaust vents, let it run and dry to give the illusion of an oil slick from the motor (a basic example). You just dirty it up to make it look more real and add and subtract pieces of the kit to suit your sense of artistic license. In the immortal words of Mr. McKinnely, 'the more dirty it is the more real it looks.' (his texturing tut)

believe it or not. I don't drink (rarely, I don't like it), much less , 'clearly not enough.' that's me on a good day???( actually, the comment went straight past me??:p )

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 12-03-2006 at 03:06 AM.
# 120 12-03-2006 , 03:58 PM
Subscriber
All valid points, I have been out at Karate today so have had no time to do any Maya.

I will do some tomorrow and post my progress for your comments and critique.

user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog