Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 91 29-05-2012 , 05:11 AM
I've just added a little detail to the headlights, screw holes.

user added image

You can almost see them in this render, and the chrome here is more polished. There's some render artifacts on the big logo.

user added image

Vray has super smooth AA for the most part, but sometimes I get this artifacts and I'm not sure what they are.

# 92 29-05-2012 , 05:19 AM
For example, on the glass here there are these lines...

user added image

I moved the camera in close and you can see tri poly artifacts.

user added image

In this case it might be my geometry, or a Vray quality setting. I'm still learning.

# 93 30-05-2012 , 05:41 AM
have you checked for duplicate faces around those areas? looks kinda like that?

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 94 01-06-2012 , 04:26 PM
Thanks, I'll look into it. I've started back on the interior, I think I have a good idea now to the level of detail I want to take this thing.

user added image
user added image

I finally figured out one of the solutions to my glass problems, Creating the glass object a custom Vray property, that gives it it's own Vray render flags, so you can turn off cast shadow and all that stuff.

user added image

# 95 02-06-2012 , 04:37 AM
Looking good! Question. Are you going to dirty it up or is this gonna be a showcar?

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 96 02-06-2012 , 12:30 PM
I'll make it showroom condition first, to be safe, as an asset. Then I'll resurrect it and see what else I can do to it as a prop. There's still so much to learn.

# 97 02-06-2012 , 02:08 PM
Great community
Looks great djwaterman! Did you use mentalRay ?

May the good times and treasures of the present become the golden memories of tomorrow.
# 98 03-06-2012 , 11:09 AM
Lifetime Member
Nice work deej...real bloody nice man.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 99 03-06-2012 , 01:36 PM
Thanks Maya friends, I'm always encouraged to continue when I get comments. The color renders are using Vray, it's not fast like I was led to believe, but the render quality is hard to turn away from.

user added image

user added image

I'm having trouble pumping more GI into the interior (these shots were corrected some in Photoshop). Currently it's just GU lighting from HDR environment. I think I will start adding lights and rely less on the GI.

There is still plenty on things needed on the interior, at the moment I crop out all the unfinished parts which limits my framing. Also my renders suffer from the modelers disease of trying to show off the modeling and not the car.

# 100 05-06-2012 , 01:49 AM
Managed to get some interior door done.

user added image

And then put extra detailing on the seat. It's starting to look quite smart in there with all the two toning.

user added image

Makes me think I should put white walls on the tires.

# 101 05-06-2012 , 01:55 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL white walls...now you have had some strange coffee...LOL...though it probably wouldnt look out of place. Can I say that the screws you made look a little 'squarish' or is this just the angle of the shots?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 102 05-06-2012 , 03:21 AM

Can I say that the screws you made look a little 'squarish' or is this just the angle of the shots?

cheers bullet

They are round as round can be, honest. Eight sided discs with smoothing on and rounded like thumbtacks on the front. I'm disappointed if they look square! That's not the intention at all.

Here's a serious question about UV's, I want to put a leather bump on the upholstery, I'd like to use a normal map and do it with UV's. As you can see my seats are 2 toned, meaning some of the polygons have one shader and the others have another shader. But they are one piece of geometry.

So what's the best way to think about UV's in this situation.

user added image

Can I discount this idea for a start, selecting the whole thing and giving it a UV map. That seems easiest but I'm not sure how that could work given the object has 2 separate shaders.

# 103 05-06-2012 , 03:43 AM
Lifetime Member
The way I have done this...because trying to draw lines in PS is a pain is this....UV the top and bottom of the seat as seperate pieces. THEN whilst in the UV editor...pick all of the blue face and cut the UV's...then just move them to one side and presto...easy as in PS then! No trying to draw lines.....hope this helps.

cheers bullet

EDIT: select the faces in perspective...sorry mate...then cut and move

bullet1968

# 104 05-06-2012 , 08:16 AM
The thin red line
First try a auto map for some thing like this
Once you have UVed the whole thing you have two choices for one shader 1 create a shader with a ramp or 2 texture in photoshop (just use the square slection mask in ps and fill with colour in a new lawer) Straight lines in PS hold the shift key as you draw you might want to turn on the grid (view/show/grid). ..............dave

Edit:to do a controlled curve line in a layer use the pen tool to make your curved line then sellect the brush or pencil you want to use then go to layers/paths at the bottom "stroke path with brush" done. The stroke to path is usefull for doing things like stitching or lots off rivets, create a brush that looks like a stitch or rivet then change the spacing in the brush settings as you use the stroke path

Last edited by daverave; 05-06-2012 at 09:17 AM.
# 105 05-06-2012 , 09:15 AM
Lifetime Member
thas another way dave...I tried that on fiddly assets in PS and it was a pain in the butt...IF the faces are on 'joins' with different textures I found my method much quicker and simpler...again this was on a building so it worked for that kind of geo.

If you go daves way make sure you have a good size res....and if you make a mistake with the pen tool (dave?) I believe holding down CTRL you can move the anchor points etc...as well you can add or delete anchor points with ALT and SHIFT..I cant remember...dave may know these shortcuts?

cheers bullet

bullet1968