Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 08-03-2014 , 11:29 AM

Human IK - floor contact doesn't work with certain meshes? WHY?

Hi!

Anyone has a deeper understanding of Human IK floor contact option?

I am trying to make a guy standing in a small rowing boat, and I want to add reality by moving the boat ever so slightly, making it less static (as if there were waves) This makes a real standing person a bit unbalanced etc. and that's what I want to achieve.

1)
I am trying to use HIK - Floor contact:
It seems to work with a simple plane, cube etc. - but the very same character just doesn't react with the boat.
Is there a specific requirement for the mesh or why do you think it doesn't work properly?

I added the proper connection between boat and HIK Effector through the Connection editor.
I did the same way as described in this tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9cLzRk-eWY

2) If fI cannot solve the 1st issue than I may try to "fake" the boat floor contact by adding an extra plane, as simple plane seems to work. In this 2nd case my question is: Can you make a mesh active but invisible at the same time? So I can use it as a fake floor contact, yet it doesn't show up in render or even in viewport? If that is possible, how?

Thank you for any extra info in advance!

# 2 08-03-2014 , 11:37 AM
I think I have answer for the 2nd option, but not the 1st.

I noticed if I turn "visibility" of the mesh to OFF, it still behaves as floor contact object, it doesn't stop being active. Great!

But I still have question 1: WHY certain mesh doesn't work properly with HIK floor contact?

Thanks!