Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 30-08-2016 , 09:10 PM

Shading Problem While Modeling

I'm not super new to Maya but I've never run into this problem before and I'm not sure how to solve it.
I'm modeling a spaceship-car thing. Low poly. But every time I try to Make a Bevel out of a few selected faces, or try to move any vertexes, I receive this strange "shading problem"? I'm not even sure if it's shading.

If I undo, the problem won't go away until I close the program. My normals aren't flipped and I''m using Soft Edge because I had a few problems with sharp edges.

Please help! I have no idea what this is! user added image Attached are some images for a lot more clarity.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 02-09-2016 , 07:18 PM
So what I ended up doing - which sort of solved the problem - was select the entire mesh's verts, then go to "Mesh Display > Set to Face" to flip the vert's normals. Every time I encountered this problem I did that and it looked fine for a while.
I don't know if that's the best answer, but if anyone else encounters this problem you can try that.

# 3 03-09-2016 , 01:54 PM
Lifetime Member
Have you tried unlocking the normals?

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 4 04-09-2016 , 12:55 AM
Technical Director
Do you have overlapping vertices?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 07-09-2016 , 11:06 PM
According to the Vertex normals, no. But I did a Merge right before I checked just in case.

# 6 07-09-2016 , 11:11 PM
When I unlock the normals my shading is completely obliterated. But my normals aren't really locked in the first place; I can still flip them.
For now though it looks like the problem has gone away.