Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-03-2004 , 11:31 PM

My second finished project: renaissance

Phew i finnaly finished it

Well here it is i used almost all of the tools and knowledge ive got from maya and it really took me some time i tried my best to achieve photorealism, i was going to add a lot more things like the horse's hair and tail also a more complex architecture but i couldnt because of school.

I havent posted in a while but i have been REALLY busy at college i hardly have time for anything else so sadly im gonna leave maya for a while user added image (well until i get my degree in two years)

I gotta thank everybody at simply maya for their great tutorials and comments they really encourage me to do my best.
also to michael mckinley for his great web page from which ive learned a lot

I hope you guys like it and ill see ya around

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 11-03-2004 , 03:50 AM
Subscriber
Hey, looks pretty good dude. I really like the stones and how the light falls on your scene. The knight almost looks as if he's floating, but I dunno.. maybe I'm seeing things. lol.

Keep up the good work.

# 3 11-03-2004 , 03:21 PM
Subscriber
looks good indeed!

I wonder how you did the bg? is it a photo or 3dworld.?
further more... nice texturing!
ltr

RanSicK

# 4 11-03-2004 , 03:33 PM
very Nice !! :beer

# 5 11-03-2004 , 03:35 PM
the walls look ok, and I guess the modelling is ok (very stiff and motionless and there's no interaction, change the pose so that the knight is leaning on it and maybe his shield is attached to the horse's saddle or something). The trees in the background look far too close to the wall that they are sitting behind (in other words you can tell that it's a flat plane with a pic on it (take a look at my link in the members lounge to some cool skies map them onto a wrapped plane and that might work better))

shiny shiny shiny (far too shiny) metal that is reflecting as if it's a mirror.... flat shield with unbeveled edges..... Dude I get the feeling that you spent all the time on the walls and no time on the characters, which seems kinda odd to me. The comment about the shadows is true as well they do look like they are floating.

It's far from finished I'm afraid, it's a ok start but it's all a bit rushed.

Don't get disheartened with what I have said, I'm just not gonig to sugar coat things.

Have a play with it and fix some of the probs and it could work.

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 11-03-2004 , 10:44 PM
Thanks to all for the comments

Pure Morning i took your suggestions in mind and youre right although i really gotta say that i added a lot of detail to the characters in fact i did the enviroment in less than an hour it was the last thing i did maybe it's was rendered in a bad angle or something, cause on all the textures of the characters i used layered shaders with displacement maps, they took me a lot of time to model because i went way ahead with detail in fact the project folder is 1 GB because of all the textures i mapped including diffuse, refraction and many more.

But its a good opinion and i appreciate that you took the time to write it, i like when people make a true opinion, even if its harsh becuase that helps me to improve myself, i really put my hearth and soul on this one took me a lot of hours, and i was going to add even more things and make everything truly good but i was quite busy and i just wanted to show the thing i made.

Cheers user added image

# 7 12-03-2004 , 03:36 AM
Pure_morning: a lot of what you said is definitely true, but for a second finished peice, this is really quite excellent. Constructive criticism is a good thing, so don't take what I'm saying wrong, but I think maybe you were just a little harsh.

# 8 12-03-2004 , 10:22 AM
I wish people had been that harsh with me in the beginning would have saved me a lot of time. You have to remember that I see photoreal quality work EVERYDAY non stop where I work so I have high expectations. Everything I said there was how I felt about the work and if people feel it was harsh then I'm sorry. I regard it as honest and to the point. I've said this a million times before that people are too nice here and too worried about offending people and that leads to crap crits (Which I cant be bothered with). One thing I will come clean about is I jusdged this as though the artist had the same experience I do and maybe that' not fair, for a second model then yes it is a good attempt but my comments still stand user added image

[QUOTE]the project folder is 1 GB because of all the textures i mapped[QUOTE]

Dude that's nothing!! user added image I have textures that big user added image Don't judge the image on how much disk space you take up with it user added image

Anyways, carrot juice dont worry I wouldnt take it the wrong way user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 9 13-03-2004 , 08:52 AM