Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 31-12-2005 , 11:49 PM
Subscriber

My First Ever Animation

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 2 31-12-2005 , 11:55 PM
Wow! Really not bad. The movements were a bit jerky, though, but nonetheless it was not bad. And the spin around jump was pretty bad... sorry. But all else... really neat!

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 01-01-2006 , 01:21 AM
Subscriber
lol, thanks but, instead of sayin what was bad, can ya tell me what i can do to make it better

# 4 01-01-2006 , 01:39 AM
aight man... maybe make hime not do the robot thing afterward, that was cheese.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 5 01-01-2006 , 03:13 AM
Subscriber
robot thing??

# 6 01-01-2006 , 10:22 AM
Subscriber
Looks good. Was this for one of those 10 second competitions at cgtalk?

I think he means robot thing by when the white dude turned around all he did was sort of wobble.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 7 01-01-2006 , 11:36 AM
Subscriber
i think he means...: after the 180 jump the movement looks kind of to perfect like dater from star trek...

# 8 01-01-2006 , 11:56 AM
Subscriber
fantastic work the mate, the only problem i see after studying it is where he does the matrix style kick and misses the camera switches view this causes it to jerk sort that out and it would be real nice.

# 9 01-01-2006 , 02:18 PM
Subscriber
thanks for all the crits everyone, i wont be goin back and changing things here, but i know what to look out for in my next animation

# 10 07-01-2006 , 04:15 PM
the pacing i felt was a bit off, some things happend a little to fast. I felt the anticipations for the run was slightly too quick. Somtimes the limbs looked like they where moving far too steadily, almost floating. Easie in and out of each motion , can easily be done by tweaking in your graph editor.

When someone runs to fight or in anger. They run fast, so their body will lean down and forward. and at moments both feet will be off the floor, and at the jumping moment all their weight will on one foot, the body still learning forward from the run, with the other leg out to keep balance. If at this moment your character looks like they could be balanced in that position you've done it wrong, people run before jumping to get momentom, at the moment it looks like a fast walk to a stand still jump kick.

The fallover looks great, just work on timing and followthrough. Secret is simply to do what your animating yourself or watch fighting movies user added image, 'research' is good user added image.

For your first piece of animation this is very adventurous user added image, i started with the good ol' bouncing ball, youve done a good job at a first attempt. Although some things are lacking, you have recognised the need for anticipation and exhaduaration in animation in this piece.

Last edited by LauriePriest; 07-01-2006 at 04:17 PM.
# 11 17-01-2006 , 05:54 AM

a few more words.

looks like you have gotten some great advice on this already. but i will add a few words. u mentioned that you may not be going back and changing anything on the animation. but remember, there is nothing wrong with doing a little revamping. it can serve as a good comparison between early skill, and where u are now. and i think it is a great working piece. uve already gotten feedback on the animation, so lets talk about the camera a little. keep that thing still for a sec. staging your scene is most important. shaky camera is good and all, but it has to be for the right shot. shaky cam in general is up close and personal. u have a wide shot with both characters the whole time, so it shouldnt be moving that much. it should be following the characters and keeping them in the stage. now, it doesnt have to be a mechanical move, especially if ur going for the hand held camera look, there can be a delay as if to catch up with the character after he is knocked down. but remember once the camera catches back up, the characters are still in a wide shot and well staged in the scene. and when one character punches the other, there is a shake and what looks like a blur. again that is a wide shot, which means all the reaction and all of the "umph" of impact is going to delivered with the character's acting ability, which is ultimately your animating ability. remember that your acting has to be believable even with a fixed camera, so dont let the camera make up for what the characters should be doing on thier own. and give urself a pat on the back for a great piece. u mentioned that you havent been doing this for long, but this is some great work. thanks
kevin
www.artofkevin.com