Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 13-07-2007 , 10:51 PM

Seperating previously combined geometry

Hi,

can I separate and individual object from a combined group of objects, without separating them all? I've got a character composed of a torso, a head, various pieces of equipment etc. They're all combined, and there's only one that I want to separate from them. When I select its faces though, and try and either separate or extract it, the whole lot is separated.

Any ideas?

thanks,

gubar.

# 2 13-07-2007 , 11:11 PM
Subscriber
you could do it manually, by using the split polygon to make something like a douple sided seam around the part you want to cut. done that you select the faces on your seam and delete them. Now sellect the faces of the part you want to seperate, click on seperate and it should work.

hope that helps

www.animateme.me.uk
# 3 13-07-2007 , 11:25 PM
Thanks for the response,

Isn't there an easier way though? It seems strange that in such an advanced piece of software, such a workaround would be required to do something as simple as removing an object/group of faces from a group.

thanks,

gubar.

# 4 13-07-2007 , 11:39 PM
Subscriber
I'd say that the simplest way to do this would be to seperate the whole lot then select the object you want to keep seperate. Now shift select the whole lot which will de-select the one object and select the rest then just combine again. Voila your piece is seperate.

Later,

Mat.

# 5 14-07-2007 , 02:16 AM
Thanks for the reply,

that would seem like the simplest way. Still a bit surprised though that you can't just select something and separate it, but that seems easy enough.

thanks,

gubar