Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 20-03-2008 , 01:18 AM
The Maya Mountain
no need to apologize for making a tutorial request! user added image I currently plan to make a tutorial going over creating a next gen piece of art soon, creating a high res model and a low res model and all the steps as I use in my job. Just gotta find the time!

# 17 20-03-2008 , 03:33 PM
Subscriber
Thanks-

For the update, I guess that NeoStrider will be upset with me now, anyways. Please!!!!! let me know when you get close to doing this. Also if you need any turn views of 2D characters fro something like this, please let me know, of course we would have to work something out but I am open.

NeoStrider,,,,, this is way cool, come one celebrate with me my friend

Thanks,

Savnac:attn: user added image :attn:

Last edited by Savnac; 20-03-2008 at 03:35 PM.
# 18 20-03-2008 , 03:36 PM
Subscriber
MtMckinley-

Private message me your info.

Thanks,

Savnac

# 19 20-03-2008 , 04:49 PM
hahaha no way i'd become upset dude... i guess perserverence is the key.

Accept no substitutions.
# 20 20-03-2008 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber
No, No, come on let me have it!!!! Come say that I was foolish!!!! for asking of such things, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, now watch this,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I bet you buy too, huh.

Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha, anyways now we have to wait fro it but at least we know that it will happen, Oh My God!!! it's gonna happen,, NeoStrider dude you have to have a beer to this, and tell your self never say never.

See now we are friends, right:attn:

Savnac

# 21 23-03-2008 , 08:06 AM
Subscriber
MtMckinley-

Can you please add one more thing too this tutorial that also might be of great learning for something like this. Can you please explain, "How does PhotoShop fir into the Mix" For the texturing phase.

I ran across a couple of modelers that always mention that sending the model into PhotoShop to do things to the model, now mind you , they do not explain why this is needed. It's always at the bottom of there artwork, but never explain.

I thought that everything is handle inside the program itself regarding the coloring phase or should I say Texturing, UV-ing, Maps,,, see I am not really sure how it all works. So it will be great if this can also be a part of this great tutorial.

Again, why would PhotoShop be needed at all?, would be my question. And remember I am new to all of this so my question might seem foolish, just remember I am new to it all, cause I know that NeoStrider will join in and think this about me,,, anyways Thanks,,

Savnac:bow:

# 22 23-03-2008 , 08:56 AM
The Maya Mountain
yep, the texturing is planned to be included. My wife is going to be out of town all week next week, so hopefully I'll have time. user added image

# 23 23-03-2008 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber
So-

It's started, Oh My God!! I can not wait,,,, hold on were is NeStrider, he should be celebrating with us on this,,,anyways so wow! when should the forum check back on things. You know I could have offered you Ortho views on a character, but I will leave that up too you.

Please keep me posted on this.

Savnacuser added image

# 24 27-03-2008 , 02:16 PM
Subscriber
So MtMckinley-

How did it go this past weekend?

Savnac

# 25 27-03-2008 , 02:41 PM
oh check it out man... people use photoshop (or any photo manipulation or paint-type program) to create textures. you don't take the model itself into photoshop, just a snapshot of the UV layout... this allows you to add color, create bumpmaps, etc.

basically it creates more control than just using the included options for each shader available.

you don't have to use photoshop per se though. you can use paint shop pro, painter, gimp, etc. i would just consider photoshop to be the industry standard for photo manipulation.

Accept no substitutions.
# 26 29-03-2008 , 08:24 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mtmckinley
yep, the texturing is planned to be included. My wife is going to be out of town all week next week, so hopefully I'll have time. user added image

when the cats away the mouse comes out to play:attn: ,
just kidding, when you say creating high poly and low poly do you mean making a base mesh then taking into someting like zbrush or mudbox sculpting the hell out of it creating normals then baking them, and appying them to the low poly to give it the look of the high polyuser added image

# 27 29-03-2008 , 02:02 PM
Subscriber
Jali-

Dude go too the begging of my thread, it will expalin what this is about bro.

Also NeoStrider can explain as well, he was my biggest fan.

Thanks,

# 28 30-03-2008 , 03:18 AM

Originally posted by jali
do you mean making a base mesh then taking into someting like zbrush or mudbox sculpting the hell out of it creating normals then baking them, and appying them to the low poly to give it the look of the high poly

having the 'look' of high poly and actually being high poly are two different things. i think he literally means creating both a high-poly and a low-poly model of the same object/character and showing the differences taken when texturing, etc.

Accept no substitutions.
# 29 01-04-2008 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
Jali-

I mean what NeoStrider is trying to say. What I requested was to have an instructor do the both in full modeling examples to show us how it would benefit us in the two different worlds of game and film.

Most tutorials or books out there talk very briefly about this but never seem to show us what they mean. So I decided to just ask on this forum to one of the instructors, if this was possible, and MtMckinley answered.

NeoStrider came down hard on me for asking this, but somehow over a period of a day or two he saw the light, and now we are best of friends, cause he knows that what I was asking for, he will buy it as well just out of curiosity of knowing, now he may never admit this but I know through my kindred spirits that he's on board,, anyways I can't wait to see what MtMckinley has cooked up for us.

Thanks,

# 30 26-07-2009 , 08:31 AM
Theres ways and means of giving your opinion, wishing someone dead aint one.

Mod, delete this, ban the fool and carrry on, or make me a mod and i'll do it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle