Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 25-08-2008 , 02:28 PM
Subscriber

booleans glitch

Hi, I've been having this problem off and on for as long as i starting using maya. Somtimes when I use any of the booleans, both of my objects disapear. I've used booleans many times before, and ive tried researching the problem, but all i get is unsolved questions. Is there any way to fix this problem? I know I am selecting the objects right and all that, but i have no idea why both objects disapear

# 2 25-08-2008 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
one piece of advice. Learn to do what your trying to do with modeling. Booleans in Maya SUCK.
If you can get them to work, which they usually do, they make look fine but they won't act as expected.
Learn to model the detail instead of using the built in operation. You will be better off for it in the end.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 3 25-08-2008 , 05:33 PM
So true, booleans is tempting to use but after smoothing it only hurts you in the long run.

Bill Harris
# 4 04-09-2008 , 07:03 AM
Subscriber
i was just gonna ask about this exact problem. So say i have modelled a leg. And then I've modelled a foot. I want to attach said foot to said leg. What you're saying is its better to learn to make the foot directly fom the bottom of the leg? What about if you just 'combine' or is it 'attach the two objects. can you not just do this and then match up the geometry?

# 5 04-09-2008 , 09:49 AM
This is also an option of course. there are lot's of ways you can achieve the same result. Experiment with both extruding and merging vertices and anything else you can think of. Then pick the technique that suits the problem best (stay away from booleans if you can help it, as mentioned). This is true for every aspect of CG and even in life itself...
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)