Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 07-04-2010 , 12:07 AM
Subscriber
There is something about that red that seems odd. The white render is indescernable to me from an actual photo. It is excellent. Superb.

That red though for some reason looks off. On your retro version it looks great. This will sound dumb, but your red is just a little too red. Its almost has depth that an actual paint job doesn't have.

I'm picking on the negative..... The model and rendering are superb. Very well done.

# 47 07-04-2010 , 05:22 AM
Excellent job! Love all the details.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 48 08-04-2010 , 08:11 AM
Lifetime Member
Like WOOOOWWWWWWW man!!!! younglion that is a bloody pearler!!!! Loved the white and purple tail, looked like a car you would want to own!!!! Dude that is some heavy s**t mate.

God that must have taken, like , forever!!!!!! great detail too mate. That is just insane!!!!!!

Well done man, oopppsssss paldav your emotional post has aa aa ff ef fe cted my keyboard too, oh they are my tears!!! Oh joy to see such wonderful art!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 49 08-04-2010 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber
i think i once called you a car god... i think that title still stands.

but yeah, i think swenkerbean has a valid crit, unless my eyes aren't seeing right (which is possible)
the cars look like their body is made of plastic

btw, howd you do the headlights? bump map or real geo or other?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 50 08-04-2010 , 10:21 AM
This looks amazing, I am not so keen on the vintage shot and agree with the previous comments about the red but your other renders look spot on.

Also am intrigued how you do those lights surely you did not model them although with your attention to detail I would not be suprsed.

Great work

# 51 08-04-2010 , 10:40 AM
Lifetime Member
still wicked though!!!!!

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 52 08-04-2010 , 07:54 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
damn great renders man out of curiosity how many poly is it unsmoothed and are you alteast gonna animate this

# 53 21-04-2010 , 01:53 PM
thanks for the comments to answer some of your questions
-the poly count is about 3 mill when all is smooth except the tires.
-the headlights is all bump map.
i was away for a week so that's the reason for this delay the render was done before i left but didn't have the time to post it, the interior materials still need some more work so once that is done i will post some renders of it
user added image
also this render as other have pointed out in other forums need some more work

# 54 21-04-2010 , 02:48 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
great render would love to know how you render your tire materials

# 55 22-04-2010 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber
how would you improve it?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 56 22-04-2010 , 02:56 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Not one of your strongest renders but good nonetheless.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 57 04-06-2010 , 12:32 PM
finally got some renders done after putting it off for a while so here it is and also tried a retro style post production, with thanks to manicho photoshop actions
user added image
user added image

# 58 04-06-2010 , 02:46 PM
Lifetime Member
The first one is good mate, the retro didnt do it for me. I think its too focussed on the spotlight behind the car, and I think the reflections on the camera side are a little bright. Im no expert so take this comment with a pinch of salt (and lemon/Tequila please bartender).

Also with the retro I think maybe toning the colours down a little too mate, it still looks like a new photo (unless thats what you inteneded?).

Still nice bloody car, good subject too mate, nice lines, robust with a hint of nostalgia. Well done

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 59 08-06-2010 , 05:18 AM
Subscriber
I disagree with bullet....I like the retro. I had previously commented that the red looked a little to "clean" maybe. When it gets toned down with the retro look, I like it.

I think the hardest part of rendering is making things look, well, not perfect. That's always the battle. You need to mess things up a little. When you look at a very well painted car, you still see some swirls from buffing and so forth. I'm not suggesting you do that, and don't even think you really could.

I think maybe something else in the picture to distract the eye a bit. I know some tutorials I have seen for architectural modeling discuss putting something almost completely undecernable in the forefront to trick the eye. I think the backlight in the retro frame does that.

And again, take all of this with a giant grain of salt, because that is some of the best modeliing work I have ever seen! user added image

# 60 08-06-2010 , 07:36 AM
Lifetime Member
Yeh I agree shwenk, it is very difficult to make something look old and worn. Younglion I assume you used FilterForge or similar for this??

Before I found FF for Photoshop I did a tutorial that was quite effective. It involved getting a piece of paper, making a few coffee mud/stains on it, throwing a few hairs on it etc and then scanning it. Import to PS and play with the shading etc on it then used that instead of the standard stuff. It actually came out well despite my reservations.

The reason I commented on its 'brightness' is yes, I am that old. I do have photos of my family pushbikes etc and they look kinda dullish if you know what I mean. This IS hard to reproduce, as shwenk pointed out.

The model itself is outstanding and no one can take that away from you mate, it is gorgeous.

Have a look at this image I assume is real, you will see what I mean about it being 'dull' so to speak.

https://www.oldcars.de/images/concept...rd_LaTosca.jpg

cheers bullet user added image

bullet1968