Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 14-09-2009 , 11:35 PM
Simply Maya OG

Creating clouds with 3d fluids...

Ok, so Im trying to make somewhat realistic looking clouds. Im following the step-by-step instructions in the F1 Help files. Im doing everything as it says to do, but for some reason, when I change the fluid type (or whatever its called. Im not infront of my computer ATM and I have no internet at home), it dosent really change the looks of the 'fluids' in the container at all. Anyone have any kinds of issues w/3d fluids like this? Its really starting to bug me...

- Hybrid
# 2 15-09-2009 , 04:31 PM
Simply Maya OG
45 people and nobody, huh? Good thing I figured it out on my own. user added image

- Hybrid
# 3 15-09-2009 , 09:21 PM
Subscriber

# 4 16-09-2009 , 12:11 AM
Rhetoric Camel:

I tried your link and all of the tutorials require some password and login thing to access them.

https://www.tutorialized.com/view/tut...a-Fluids/33213

I have tried this tutorial, despite what some of the comments say, it works and no steps are missing and I was pretty pleased with the results. I have been messing around with fluid dynamics for a couple of days now and I suggest you mess around with em to get a feel for what does what, it really helps.

# 5 16-09-2009 , 07:26 PM
Simply Maya OG
Monkey, thats the tutorial I ended up using. I originally used the tutorial supplied by the Maya help files, but had no luck. i found that tutorial (on a different site, area.autodesk.com. Great site BTW). Followed it, and the results came out great.

Im gonna need clouds for my next project, so Im trying to figure out how to make them and whatnot. Thanks agian though guys!

Does anyone know of a tutorial on how to animate the clouds moving and shaping and whatnot as time passes?

- Hybrid
# 6 16-09-2009 , 09:14 PM
The thin red line
i know this is not what you asked but have you thought of using ozone plugin.............dave

# 7 16-09-2009 , 10:45 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Monkey Wrench
Rhetoric Camel:

I tried your link and all of the tutorials require some password and login thing to access them.

Yeah unfortunately you have to pay to use the site but it has come in handy for me and helped me learn a few things about dynamics and fluids, figured I'd share here, never know who might want to pay for these good tutorials. I have to resubscribe myself as soon as I get the cash again.

# 8 17-09-2009 , 03:04 AM
Technical Director
If you go into the visor, under fluid examples, there is a clouds preset. You can use that to get started.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 9 17-09-2009 , 04:08 PM
select the clouds, under texture there is a setting called texture time. set up some keys with that, maybe even change the freqency abit.

# 10 18-09-2009 , 12:22 PM
Technical Director

Originally posted by Monkey Wrench
select the clouds, under texture there is a setting called texture time. set up some keys with that, maybe even change the freqency abit.

I think what he wants are volumetric clouds. There wouldn't be a purpose to use fluids if you didn't.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 11 18-09-2009 , 02:48 PM
I am talking about a 3-d fluid. Thats how the preset timelapse clouds were animated.
I just thought if he already had some clouds made, instead of getting the preset ones, he could just animate his own.

# 12 18-09-2009 , 05:25 PM
Simply Maya OG
Yes, I want to animate the already created (by me) clouds, so they move and re-shape and whatnot (like real clouds do), all using 3d fluids.

I'll give Monkey's suggestion a try later on after work. Thanks!

- Hybrid