Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 25-03-2005 , 12:08 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Funky Bunnies.

All, don't ya just hate it when you get up the next day. Look at what you had done and think ... EWWWW

# 17 25-03-2005 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber
I thought since this robot gets away from traditional hydrolics I would show how it is going to work to keep all on the same page. So here it goes. Not the best illistration in the world. Might redo it later.

user added image

A. is a new kevlar/High temp nylon composet. Flexable yet only stretches in certain directions. Strong and damage resistant.

B. are tubes for the gasses to enter the inflatable portion of the mechanical muscle.

C. Gasses expand inside the ballon portion of the tendon. Because of the kevlar in the linning it only allows expantion out to the sides as in part F. This pulls on the lower and upper part of the tendon causing it to contract.

D. is the direction of contraction caused by the gasses inflating only part of the tendon.

E. shows the inert state of the kevlar weave and why it can not give much at all lenght wise.

Last edited by Pony; 25-03-2005 at 11:44 PM.
# 18 26-03-2005 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
cool, that looks like a nice setup. user added image very similar to real muscles. Are you going to use a muscle system for animation on this?

All, don't ya just hate it when you get up the next day. Look at what you had done and think ... EWWWW

hahaha that happens to me all the time.

lets see some more modeling, man user added image

# 19 26-03-2005 , 02:10 AM
Subscriber
No, I have a lot to do already let alone MEL'ing a muscle system. I know I have the calculations some where.. LOL but for the expanding part of this. It will be under a hard shell so no need to show the expansion and contraction on it. I got the tendons sliding and moving around covered.

Yeah I'll model more. At the moment I'm preparing for a small demo animation of like the neck working so people know more what they're looking at and what to expect as I go.

Last edited by Pony; 26-03-2005 at 05:33 AM.
# 20 26-03-2005 , 02:50 AM
Physically F should look just like E otherwise the material would expand horizontally but would dampen the physical pull. I am not sure how effective this sytem would be as it wouldn't provide that much pull. As pressure is added Boyle's Law would take affect and the pressure would equalize with the volume. The pocket expansion would create some pull but I think if that whole muscle was a foot long it would only actually contract it 2 inches or so. If you only need it to contract that much then there is no use in reading the rest of this post. Anyways if you require the "muscles" to expand and contract quickly and effectively I wouldn't use hydraulics as it would need a full time supply of compressed air and quick release solenoid valves. I would actually go with Nitinol SMA muscle wire. Nitinol is an SMA combination of nickel and titanium. It is processed into various forms and is used for obtaining motion from electrical current. It is a shape memory alloy that would work well for creating an artificial muscle. However with this being said you have to remember that we are working in 3D and not the real world. In doing so we can "cheat" and make everything work out just like it does in our heads user added image. Plus if we don't really see the muscles then all is well. I know all this sounds technical but I see that you thought things out well enough to design your own muscle so I figured I might try to provide some insight. Props to you dude!:tup: Keep up the good work!

------thatdudeyoulove-------
# 21 26-03-2005 , 03:24 AM
Subscriber
Thatdudeyoulove, great post.

E shows the natural state. F is showing them during the expansion. So if by saying they should look like each other they do, when there is no expansion.
Yes it only needs to contract a little. Think of your biceps, on me it might be around 8 or 9 inches long, the actual shortening it goes through when contracted only amounts to about a inch, inch and a half. Things will be layed out simalarily with this system in most places so they will not need that much travel distance.

It will have a stable supply of very high presure.

Nitinol SMA < I didn't know what to call it or exactly how it worked.. I did think they had this stuff already.. Very good idea that I would think to use. But for this robots application, I would like to avoid metal as much as posible. So its a lot of composites.

Yeah,I know what your saying. I'd like to avoid cheats though.
Now working with a material that is possible but not yet made or commen is a different thing.. but not even much of that here.

As for controlling the pressure. Thats a little gray area at the moment for me. Happen to know of any substances that expand and contract rapidly depending on light wave range of exposure , halfway rapidly ? say half a sec.. The application is for having just a couple of static supply lines, with more of a fast mechanical transiter on the inlet to the "muscle" to controll pressures.

Last edited by Pony; 26-03-2005 at 05:44 AM.
# 22 26-03-2005 , 03:49 AM
Hmm, I am thinking of some type of high grade fluoropolymer or the material that they make the slingshot cords out of( like this: user added image). It isn't a woven material but it is durable yet flexible and extremely strong. I am not sure what you mean by light wave range of exposure. Can you explain?

------thatdudeyoulove-------
# 23 26-03-2005 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
user added image

what I'm talking about is the presure regulater, I would like to controle it buy light or laser through fiberOpics. It would pinch off the flow through the red tube of the gas buy meens of the yellow substance. That yellow substance is what I'm wandering about, does anyone know of any substance that expands when exposed to light ? or contacts even. Hopefully this will also give a more finer controle over the presure and flow.

a reson for avoiding excesive metal or electro-magnetic raidation is to make this harder to detect.. kinda a stelth robot.

# 24 29-03-2005 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber
some more geo work.

user added image

# 25 29-03-2005 , 12:49 PM
Subscriber
omg man i can't believe how much you've thought about it
its incredible hope you can make all this detail
good luck
mumbo

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 26 30-03-2005 , 02:23 AM
A little FYI, a different way you could make the muscles work is with a new type of composit metal (my ex landlord's father ...a Chemical engineer at Penn State invented it about 10 years ago) the composit contracts in one direction (x as opposed to y and z) when a small electrical charge is applied.
works almost exactly as a muscle cell.

BTW, Looks cool.

Woops, I should have read all the posts.

Last edited by sandman300; 30-03-2005 at 02:26 AM.
# 27 30-03-2005 , 05:12 AM
Subscriber
Looking nice Pony..
I'll hold other Crits and coments untill you get a bit further along in it...but.. so far looks rather promising..
Legend

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 28 30-03-2005 , 10:21 AM
Subscriber
sandman300, thanks for the try though I really do apriceat that. Its always cool and intresting to find out who knows who.

LOZ coolness thanks for droping buy. Yeah a little slow right now I'm dealing with some rather dumb technical dificultys right now. Should be out of the woods though very soon.

# 29 31-03-2005 , 02:32 AM
Subscriber
working on some of the tail. Smoothed verstion on left and the lowpoly geo on right.

user added image

Last edited by Pony; 31-03-2005 at 02:35 AM.
# 30 01-04-2005 , 06:25 AM
Subscriber
more updates comeing. I promiss.. just had to straiten out some things..